Nando il robot telecomando pneumatic robot from the 1950's

robothut

As I have been playing around with pneumatic robot designs, I thought it might be cool to do a You Tube on my 1950's Nando robot. Back in the 1980's when I bought mine it still operated, but the red rubber squeeze bulb was getting very fragile so I rarely played with it. These days the rubber bulb is still in one piece but I would never try squeezing it, So I did try a different squeeze bulb in its place and found that the rubber bellows inside the robot had finally dried out as well. After a lot of searching I found a new bellows that is built about the same as the original. or close enough to take its place and operate the robot. So here is a You Tube of the robot in action.

http://youtu.be/E_-wtfLqhss

The robot uses ratchets in the feet like most walking toy robots but the ratchet action is a simpler design that requires that the ratchet wheels slide forward and backward. this type of ratchet design works OK with slow moving legs with long walking strides but not so well with short fast moving strides. So Nando was never a great walker.

Here are some pictures of the inside of a Nando and the replacement bellows. The bellows or boot in this case has to be cut down a bit and is sold as a RC linkage boot for boats "keeps the water out of the servo's when the linkage runs to a rudder out side the boat". The new squeeze bulb is a atomizor like you would use with perfume.

post-7-0-97631100-1406065106_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-78430200-1406065128_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-38088100-1406065160_thumb.jpg

Links to the Alphadrome custom robot section on the other pneumatic robots I have been playing around with. I do not consider these to be great walkers but they are better than the 1950's Nando robot. And I hope to keep playing around with the idea until I get a better design worked out.

Very nice John, thanks for sharing. Interesting to see the insides of this little guy, never realized how small this robot is until Morphy's last fall. So tiny and fragile it's amazing any survived at all.

Archived