Inside the mind of a mad robot builder

Andyman

I thought I would give you some creative insight to one of my recent Andybots, "Bell & Gossett".

B_G_3_sm.jpg

None of my construction processes are typical as my inspiration and techniques vary as the wind blows. But, certain elements are consistent in all of my works. Most pieces start off unnamed and it is through the building process that a name will sometimes come to me. More often it's a name on a part that inspire the title. A lot of times I will ask my youngest daughter, Casey, when she is home, to come up with a name. She has a knack for clever titles. Remember "Buzz Kill 5000"?

B_G_2_sm.jpg

When I built the "Gossett" piece, I had a leftover piece of wood from another Andybot project. I also had some cool vintage looking wheels from a incomplete Meccano erector set someone had given me a while back. Well, one thing led to another and the idea of a "wheeled" robot emerged. Originally I was thinking along the lines of "Mr. Machine" style robot as evident with his head. His mouth can be manually opened and closed. My daughter thought he looked like a wheel chair robot and thought I should call him "Bell & Gossett" based on the metal tag on his front that came from a pressure valve. I thought "Bell & Gossett" implied two elements to the piece so she suggested a nurse robot pushing him. While I didn't mind the idea of a wheel chair or "handicapped" robot, I really didn't want to hit people over the head with it. My solution was to give him a pet dog to walk and so "Bell" was born thus completing the piece. As you can see, a lot of my robots start as an idea but will evolve into what they eventually become. That's what I love about building Andybots. You never know when a project is gonna take a 90 degree turn on you.

B_G_1_sm.jpg

I had just finished "Bell & Gossett" so these are just cell phone pictures that I had originally sent to my daughter. I'll post when I get better, more detailed shots.

Simply amazing Andy. I never would have thought of such a duo but these two certainly are 'dynamic'. :thumbs:

Many thanks for sharing your madness with us as we understand your plight!!! :lecture:

Kind of like 'the tail wagging the dog' with these projects, eh Andy?! Great build! -Steve

Very Nice Andy!! A different look that really works well. Thanks for sharing some insight into your creative design process.

It's ALWAYS cool to see those of you who can build these working creations and it really is inspiring. Great job! :biggrin:

Archived