Renwal space helmet alert on ebay

Electric Robot and Son

There is an auction on ebay now (eBay item number:321448720640) that is titled Renwall Space Helmet. The helmet is really a Hong Kong "copy" of the Renwal helmet. It is similar but not the same. It is made from a softer plastic. It is still a cool piece but not a Renwal. I have contacted the seller but have not gotten a reply. I just thought I would post a warning here.

Thanks Joe.

Just out of curiosity, what are the tells you are going by? Now that you mention it I can see the flimsiness but are there other tells?

post-16-0-80035200-1404326574_thumb.jpg

The real one is marked SPACE SCOUT on visor and ear pieces.

I'm sure there are others, but this difference jumped out at me.

The Renwal helmet has a gap in the headband in the back, the HK one doesn't. The ear pieces are attached to the helmet differently. The Renwal ear pieces attaching tabs are not visible from the outside but the HK tabs are visible.

Thanks guys! I hate to admit it but I guess I'm too lazy to fish mine out of the display cabinet and make the comparison myself. Sad but true.

• 9 months later...

At first it looks like the piece on top is slid up into the wrong position. But after seeing the card it's obvious it was meant to be in that position by the manufacturer, Payton. Perhaps the different position of the top piece has something to do with a deal cut between Payton and Renwal to use the molds, but at the same time differentiate it from the Renwal version?

post-143-0-37017300-1428210512_thumb.jpg

Archived