Display: A new display idea

Ultrarobotman

Hi all ! I have a new way of displaying one robot at a time, I bought a pedestal at a local flea mkt today for ten bucks.Had the idea for awhile but I refused to go with the plastic/resin type, and even those go for over $100. I was holding out for cement, but saw this one which appears to be made of some type of plaster and painted white and the price was right. The kicker is my family was with, gave me the "look" for buying it and once home, they all offered me more money for it! Trying not to ramble on, some who read my content know we (me and Ultrarobotson) have a "robot of the week" always randomly picked and displayed until now ontop of the kitchen cupboard, and now have the perfect upgrade.This 28" ancient-looking Roman column makes the imposing Super Space Giant look like a god they would have worshiped!

post-1682-0-68160200-1403313041_thumb.jp

post-1682-0-42282000-1403313083_thumb.jp

:biggrin:

We started to use the pedestal a while ago and once a week we add a new one to them. I also added glass domes for them since we have Huskies running around and it keeps there hair from them. Our pedestals stand 4ft tall and weight in at 160lbs each due to the granite used. We need something heavy to keep them standing when Huskies are a playing. I also added dimmer spot lights above them so at night they really stand out as night lights. :biggrin:

post-856-0-61930000-1403393568_thumb.jpg

Hi, Roboto, and thanks. Now I'm wondering if there are any more "robot of the week" members!? that's awesome. Great idea you have there with the spotlight and dome.Once I find a permanent place for the pedestal, I wonder if I might use one of my color-changing l.e.d. lights to show it off with changing colors. :cheers:

Ultrarobotman, I actually have two of those plaster pedestals in my garage/workshop.

I got them for nothing at a funeral home that I happened to be working at. I saw a guy

carrying them to the dumpster and he was more than happy to get them off his hands.

Mine need a good paint job, but there are no major issues with them.

As for other pedestals, I have my 120 year old tobacco store indian head on one and

a 1950's ceramic Marlin on another. Never thought of putting robots on them, but it

is an interesting look. When you put valuable items on a pedestal, just be careful of

small children, pets and drunk friends... :wacko:

post-6-0-67206300-1403903092_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-81804400-1403903101_thumb.jpg

That's my worry, Darryl. I have four cats and a dog. Even my robots standing on the floor (Rudy, Tin Man, Robby Sr.) are in peril all the time even when NOT on a pedestal. It looks great, but it would be a hazard in my place.

Ken it was just 3 short years ago you viewed the piston shelving.

here is text and images from a old Alphadrome post on the new display shelves I built when I was out of floor space.

Here is a shot of two 6 foot long hydraulic Prop pistons I made to hang a 12 foot long shelf about the center isle. I then made two more for a another 12 foot shelf above the third isle. In the end I added safty suport cables to the ends of the 12 foot long hanging shelfs to keep them safe. I was able to fill the shelves with the toys that had taken over the floor and the tops of the pinball machines. The pictures are poor but you get the idea. Isle 1 already had tall glass display cases set up in it .

post-7-0-93103400-1404064865_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-81010300-1404064882_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-34800800-1404064905_thumb.jpg

Great idea and great display!

( is that a working radiant heater Ultra?)

Yes, Racer x, the cast iron radiators in my home still work and provide great heat when I have to use oil, which is not often; I have been using gas ever since the price-spike happened on heating oil here a few years ago. However, I like that you admire the old- fashioned cast iron design as I myself do and I will keep in service as long as I can. " They don't make 'em like they used to " !! :biggrin:

Archived