Just bought a Space Warrior robot and am wondering...

rikke

This is my first post here, so sorry if it's not in the right section.

I just bought the 'space warrior' on a flea market, I couldn't resist the vintage look it has. Looking for more information on the web, I stumbled upon this site, more specifically It's the black one, in very good condition with it's box, slightly worn. It still makes a terrible clicking noise and the lights flash, but doesn't walk anymore.

Can anyone tell me from what year this is, or give me additional info? If I could sell this, what would be a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance!

Check out  

thread for a response by the master craftsman John Rigg regarding these robots as I just re-bought the silver one (which only lights up).  The ones I bought in the late '70s new in the store only worked once or twice due to their faulty nature, they were all terribly made. They can be taken apart and repaired apparently as they're held together with screws and the shafts/gears replaced. All plastic gears and rods don't stand up well especially over time.

Bought my selection of these originally c.1979 at $9 each.  Now, they generally go for $25-$50 boxed most at that higher end, two of my recent ones $50 and $44 respectively. Compared to my purchases on rarer tin 'bots a year ago this is small potatoes just wanted my early original starter's collection back. :rolling:

The third one, Space Commander I purchased with the TV screen amazingly still works fine but was at $80 'cause I had it in front of me, I had to have it and it WORKS, no shipping costs involved and is dead-on new store stock.  This stuff's only worth what someone is willing to pay to put it on their shelf and what the seller is willing to give it up for.

They'll all become static pieces of art at some point.

Here's what I did to the silver guy when he stopped working...a quick coat of Varathane plastic-in-colours over his previous gold paint...and at least he was nicer to look at.

post-298-0-62548700-1402945533_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the information Morbius!

So the 10 euro I spent was a fair price. I did a little shaking and a small cracked plastic cogg fell out from the gap between his feet's wheels. Let's see what I can fix with the old trusty screwdriver...

Welcome rikke. This thread might help:

If you have the complete gear, here's my "fix":

If you can 't cannibalize an exact gear from another toy and want to repair the "split" gear try this. Make sure the gear is clean and dry. Use rubbing alcohol to cleanse the split. Use super-glue and a small clamp to mend the split. Let it dry for at least a day longer if possible. Use a drill bit one size larger than the shaft diameter that the gear fits on. Most hobby shops carry these very small drill bits. A pin-vise hand drill works well or just using the bit alone will do. Drill slowly and carefully so as not to re-split the gear. Use quick cure epoxy to remount the gear on the shaft. Ideally you want the epoxy to occupy the space between the shaft and the newly enlarged gear hole. Using a toothpick build up a very small amount of the epoxy on either side of the gear and onto the shaft. Make sure the epoxy does not fill in between the teeth of the gear. Let the epoxy cure for at least a day.

Archived