Is this piston pug robby 100%?

Ranger

Just saw this pug robby on ebay # 231192162884. It has the side strips which point to an original period piece but the remote is wrong I think. The 2 main things I notice and given that its the small hours of the morning now were 'Made in Japan' underneath, Was this stamped in originally? I would have thought so but this looks like its been engraved on? Has anyone photos of an original? The other thing was I thought that for a robot of this age the underneath of the feet look very bright,clean and shiny? I am not sure about this one.

post-331-0-66128000-1397780121_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-10709700-1397780146_thumb.jpg

This is a pic from Antiques Navigator, I've seen the green remote on these before. *Altaira's gold/blue pug has the JAPAN obviously stamped into it. The bare metal looks awfully new on this one as well as the great gloss on the legs but if the remote wire had broken early on it may be a piece that didn't sell therefore unused.

ROBOTHUNTER where are you? :lecture: JR?

post-298-0-57344500-1397783064.jpg

The body is right.I just looked at photo of the underside of a repro pug and its different.Maybe your theory is correct Morbius!

That one looks fine, the dome fits well, the remote is genuine, it has 2 holes on the top that bend inside to hold the battery paper and the clip has a curved top. The slightly "bleached" looking green wire is original.

The place where the wire goes in underneath near the stamp is also correct for the early model. see this link, notice the stamp is 90degrees different http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1950s-Orig-NOMURA-Piston-Action-Remote-Battery-Tin-Toy-Robot-Pug-Robby-With-Box-/221218320587?nma=true&si=NT350POzB%252BukyuvN2vvR4JINxO8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I have the next model where the wire exits from a groove in the skirt but it only has "Japan" stamped into it, so they do differ a little from one model to another.

The only thing is the ears are the wrong way round the upright should be on the other side, but I think these can be easily put in the wrong way either at construction or if it has been opened.

cheers

Chilli

The robot looks original to me, but it has been opened based on tab bends and paint loss only on the tabs. The rubber claws look very minty, so who knows for sure if its 100% original.

Agree leotoys price too high, seems original enough as John stated and patina seems right. After John's comment I looked at the tabs and one side appear to have been tampered with, the manufacturer usually touched up those areas (tabs) afterwards and is usually quite obvious but the touch up doesn't detract from the toy it was standard practice.

The repro pug seems to be missing his 'privates'. :ohmy::diggin:

Has anyone zoomed in on 'Made In Japan'? The A's are different,it looks poorly done,as though it's been engraved on.I don't have an original or a photo of such to compare.Maybe they are all like that,I don't know.

From what we understand, these toys were generally assembled in private homes which were commissioned by the piece I'm sure there are variations as to how hard they were stamped or engraved as they were put together.

"Privates" only on the first version with the wire fitting underneath and if you check my ebay reference you will see that the made in japan can be stamped in 2 directions

Hi Chilli

I understand what your saying re the orientation of the Japan marking,it was the quality of its application I was wondering about.The mark is usually a nice,crisp Mark,all evenly proportioned.I am probably thinking of the 'JAPAN' mark on say the battery box cover of a horikawa robot for instance. The one on this pug robby looks engraved on rather than stamped in,and badly at that.As I say,maybe that's normal for this particular robot,I don't know for sure.Cheers.

Hi Ranger,

just thinking that the marks all seem to differ a bit, maybe as mentioned on the thread it was a bit hit and miss in production technique , the base plate is correct though so I guess the mark would be genuine. Guess quality control did not feature to highly at the time.

thanks

Chilli

Hi Chilli

I guess so,it was quite a long time ago and stamping tools wear out and are sometimes reworked a little to make them last a bit longer so that could account for the odd discrepancy.Thanks for your input,Cheers.

• 8 months later...

Archived