Mr. Atomic vs. Gang Of Five-who's more valuable?

Action Robot

Hi gang,

I was just watching an episode of "The Toy Hunter" where he was in Mexico on a buying trip. At one point he's going gaga for something we can't see.

post-1473-0-23868900-1397711310_thumb.jp

"I don't know much about robots," he says, as he pushes his way past two very nice Lavender robots and a good-looking Sonic Robot, "but I know this one!", and they pull out a Mr. Atomic robot.

I would have to agree that he doesn't know much about robots, considering his total disregard of the highly desirable Gang Of Five members, but it made me curious...which is the most valuable of the three, if we assume that the condition is the same on all the robots?

Sorry for the image quality, took a pic of my tv screen...

post-1473-0-99941300-1397711634_thumb.jp

Cheers,

Dave

Just watched the episode. I think part of the reason they decided to feature Mr. Atomic (vs. the gang members) was because the backstory is better with the connection to the 1962 Sears Christmas catalog, it gave them the opportunity to show the commercials for Mr. Machine and Big Garloo, both also available that same year. Plus no other robot looks like Mr. Atomic. Makes for better TV. You do realize all these "finds" are fake, set up and scripted right?

Just watched the episode. I think part of the reason they decided to feature Mr. Atomic (vs. the gang members) was because the backstory is better with the connection to the 1962 Sears Christmas catalog, it gave them the opportunity to show the commercials for Mr. Machine and Big Garloo, both also available that same year. Plus no other robot looks like Mr. Atomic. Makes for better TV. You do realize all these "finds" are fake, set up and scripted right?

NOOOOOOOOOO!

I figured they were pretty close at least in desirability...what makes me think he didn't recognize the value of the Five is that, recognizing that the man had too much emotional connection to the Mr. Atomic, he didn't make an offer on the just-as-collectible robot that the man had TWO of... right in front of his face! I think the Gang Of Five backstory would be just as interesting to explore on a show dedicated to collectible toys and "holy grail" items...

I agree that a Gang of Five story would have been cool and interesting without a doubt. It's not suprising to me that he didn't make an offer on the two Lavender robots because they know in advance of filming what the "seller" will or won't sell. It's all negotiated in advance. These people are actually acting out a script directed by the producers. Not the scripts you or I would write of course, but the point is, it's not a spur of the moment thing.

On Canadian Pickers (Yes,this is a show) the fools walk right by an original Mechanized on a shelf only to be excited by duck decoys and canoes on the opposite wall. Sheesh!

Fineas,

Believe me, I know how fake this stuff is! I witnessed filming of one of these shows at a nightclub across the street from where I work. They did take after take of two of the characters talking to each other as they walked out of the club. Everyone...EVERYONE in the scene were hired "actors"-the doorman, the people standing in line, even the cars driving back and forth in front of the club were lined up and sent in on cue! All this for a few throwaway lines of intimate, "unscripted" dialogue...absurd!

I still think they had no clue about the Gang Of Five robots, to use them like that as props, and not even make mention of their value or their iconic status! Bad research on their part.

• 3 months later...

here's what i can tell you, that IDIOT in the black shirt knows very little of what he's talking about . Plus, he has no clue how to handle expensive vintage toys.

if he were anywhere near my collection, i'd tell him to back off in no uncertain terms.

Archived