Wind Up AlphaBot project

robothut

I have wanted to do a wind up AlphaBot robot project for some time now but the cold winter stopped me from playing with the idea until now. I have built two prototypes. The White prototype was the first to be built. They are based on using the wind up guts from a Liliput robot. They are 6 inches tall. On the white robot I made the arms attach by using magnets so that the left arm could be removed so that the wind up key could be inserted, On the second robot I screwed the arms on, the robots Left arm can pivot up so that the key can be inserted. I think the screw on arm is the way to go. The robot is covered in plastic photo film so that ink jet printers can be used to detail and "Paint" the robots.I did not add a STOP / GO lever, but I think the robot should have one so if I make more robots then I will play around with the idea of a antenna rod that can be used to control the action. The robot does not have a name yet so ideas are welcome for that and Ken might want to try his hand at some box artwork. If a custom box was made for the robot it would have a top area of 6.75 inches by 5.5 inches. It seems like the project could be done low cost say around $35 bucks, with a max price maybe as high as $45 .Shipping would be extra and what ever USPS charges at the time. So is this a project that you guys might want to be involved with? feed back, questions and ideas welcome.

you Tube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNDevRzSNqg&feature=share&list=UU3WEwAKUPsIt1eZRBHBAFbg

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some images. in the one picture you can see how the arm can be swung out of the way for the windup key on the black robot and on the white robot the arm is removed.

post-7-0-41041700-1396919042_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-74293500-1396919062_thumb.jpg

More images. The plastic film coating gives for a nice glossy finish. I did clear top coat the ink jet so that it would not have a water problem. The robots are very sturdy , more so than a thin tin lilliput.

post-7-0-79240500-1396919181_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-90129000-1396919195_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-87777300-1396919210_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-95745600-1396919231_thumb.jpg

Wonderful John love it...sounds like a great project, just a thought, have you considered colour choices for these? The black and white are stunning. It's always a wonderful time when a new Rigg 'bot is added to the shelf.

Awesome work, John!

You can totally count me in on any art type work you want done on this project. I'd love to have a go at a box design!

Cheers,

Dave

The basic body build is "wood by products" but the robot also has metal , plastic , ink, glue and clear spray. Now I could have built the robot in metal but based on what it cost to make the original battery operated AlphaBots a few years ago I decided not to go that way. We could go that way if you guys want to spend more money. So that brings up the remaining questions if this project moves forward.

What is the name of the Project ?

How many are we going to have built ? This needs to figuared out since bulk ordering the Lilliputs would need to happen.

Do you want a metal bot ? if so the price could be closer to $100 bucks a bot since the quantities will be low.

Also as for the box art, any of you could design the box art and the box art used could be based on a vote or the box art could be what ever you request since the artwork will be printed on a ink jet unit one at a time.

I'm sure John if you even made it out of paper mache' or paper clips or dog hair we'd be thrilled with the outcome. :hail:

Archived