Light Bulbs: Tinted Lacquer for bulbs, any ideas

chilli

HI all,

its always the coloured bulb that has blown, what is the best solution to paint a bulb with to get a transparent tinted look.

Trying to find a small quantity of coloured lacquer is a bit tricky, any ideas.

I have been looking at tinted guitar lacquer as it is cellulose based but £15-$25 a go.

Is there a simple heat resistant product anyone has tried and is available in the U.K. on ebay or amazon.

Is there a nail varnish that would do it.

thanks

Chili

Edit.

I have just found this, do you think it might do the trick?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHERRY-RED-Tinted-Neat-Nitrocellulose-Nitro-Vintage-Guitar-LACQUER-250ml-/190597239915?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

thanks

C.

I use "Sun Catcher" Paint. It is plastic that dries clear and you can get them at the Dollar Stores in the craft section.

Sun Catchers are home made stained glass hangings that you hang in a window. The coating is some kind of plastic that dries

Clear and looks good. I have used it on many lights.

Brilliant, thanks

stained glass lacquer was the one I could not bring back to mind, even though I did have some pots of it in the past.

Nice to see 3 answers to the same problem, and within an hour of asking.

Many thanks

Chilli

Thanks Bob, but we dont have that brand in our little Isle.

The nearest I can find is guitar lacquer and that is really expensive in a tin spray, in fact in the U.K. it hard to get all manner of cans of paints that I used to patch up my old bangers with. And cellulose paint has all but gone.

At least with the above glass lacquer I get 4 colours for $15, as long as they work!!

I recently saw your restoration work on the Smoking robot, man, you are THE man!!!!!!

Just out of interest does anyone know a paint that drys with the deepness of black that the black toys used. Even with humbrol enamel I dont think it is as deep a black.

Thanks

Mark

p.s. can someone point me to the link on how a "smoker"works, I know I have stumbled across it before.

Take a Cotton Ball, dip it in mineral oil, place it in your Toaster. Before the Firemen come into your house, you will see how a smoker works ! ! !

But how do I get it in my robot, surely I will need to keep the power cable attached?

Diagram needed please SH !!!!!!!!!

cheers

Chilli :scratchhead:

It works by having a wire go through cotton that has oil on it inside the smoke mechanism. The current from the 3 Volts from the Batteries gets the wire hot enough to burn off the oil wthout setting the robot on fire. A bellows pumps the smoke out of the toy. Toy Train suppliers sell smoke oil to replenish dry or missing oil in the toy train. They should work on Robots too.

For about 25 years I have been using Krylon translucent spray, it comes in Red blue Yellow Amber and Green, craft stores sell it for fake stained glass work. Its a heat proof, dries realy fast.

post-7-0-63741300-1394396539_thumb.jpg

Right, got it. I was not sure what held the oil.

The problem I have is the wire has cracked off around the entry, so I suppose I need to go in from the far end and play it by ear from there. I read somewhere about the problem of modern smoke oil not working as well, any substitute.

I will wet the cotton when I get to it but would it be normal to squirt some down the exit.

Now if I could just get my fingers out of this damn toaster!!!!

cheers

Chilli

Edit.

thanks robothut, that came in when i was typing this out.

I found those sprays on a search but guess what... not available over here in Blightey.

that would have been far too easy.

I'm not sure what you mean by " The wire has cracked off". If you mean the insulation has come off, that does not matter.

Try an OHM Meter and see if there is continuity between the wires going into the smoke mech.

Yes, thats what I meant, cracked off but also fallen inside, looks like I have to take the sealed cap out from the other side to get anywhere with it.

thanks

Archived