Top Posters In This Topic

• Eagle

• Tinplate6

• Sparkrobot

• Morbius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...

Mark I feel like you need a good old bit of British encouragement.

I have just managed to catch up with your Robert project.

From what I can see you have achieved with this robot up to now, you should be very proud. It is definitely worth finishing. I hope you are near to solving the feet problem.

Steve

Yeah,,I got the vacuum chamber,,,,it works great. I made the mold for the feet. But I think I'm going to make it a two part mold. The legs are done. Some things have come up,,

like broken Airplanes and broken jeeps. Plus I got and order for a 9 ft cat tree,,,,So I'm into that.  A tree takes about a week.

13584749_1211750968849345_1633376611803657707_o.jpg

P1090200.JPG

I did some optically clear casting for a friend a few years ago, I used the same pump set in you r video link it was sold at Harbor Frieght dirt cheep. I used Sil Pac optically clear resin. We made lenses for a light house project. 

Yes he does. I know nothing about pressure casting. I only know the vacuum chamber will draw out the bubbles.

Yeah I know this is taking a long time but I learn by trial and error....It;s takes awhile since the errors seem

be a larger part of the trial. Thanks John,,if the resin I have doesn't pan out I'll go that route. I need to order some

more alumilite for making the molds. The putty doesn't work well wrapping over objects.

Eagle, as you wish. The feet are hollow, almost egg-shaped with a metal screen attached to the bottoms.

IMG_1940.JPG

IMG_1941.JPG

Now, remember, there were several Roberts built over the course of the show, mine is based on the very first version, the later ones had different feet.

Wow the claw photo is great. It looks like the plastic is in layers ?? Or one piece that the hinge point was machined ? The feet confound me. Almost looks like they were made from an existing item or Vacuum formed.

My rendition will probable vari from yours. I studied the screen shots a lot.

Yes, each half of the claws are actually two thin layers of perspex bonded together; one full size, the other is notched back to fit together like scissors.

Brian I have done pressure casting also, it works the same as vacuum casting in that it forces the air bubbles out of the resin, but it is more scary to do, when I did it we put the pressure pot inside a metal garbage can and stayed out side the shop just in case it exploded. The good thing about pressure casting is all you need is besides the pressure pot is a air compressor and we all have those , where as vacuum pumps cost money for a good one that draws enough vacuum to do the job, also getting a vacuum takes longer so you have to use slow setting resin. when working with optically clear resin slow setting is a good thing so that's OK but when casting with normal resins they normally set up real fast so its hard to get a vacuum fast enough, its easy to get a pressure pot up tom pressure fast.