Robert The Robot Fireball Xl5 Build

Eagle

Wow plexiglas this size isn't cheap ! He's going to be a Big guy at 20" . I have almost all of the parts I need except a 1" Selenium Rectifier . This is going to be a Fireball of a project. Thanks to Phil for drawing up the Blueprints. :cheers: The lights in the robot shop have been off for 3 yrs. Too long.

post-545-0-76730400-1392936525_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-17199800-1392936558_thumb.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eagle

• Tinplate6

• Sparkrobot

• Morbius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's very CLEAR to us all here who you're building Mark.

Didn't know he was being probed by a selenium rectifier, I guess 'cause he's over 50?? :scratchhead::rolling:

Can't wait to see him Eagle, one of my earliest fondest memories of 'bots on TV after Robby. I originally heard he was essentially a real robot in the TV show and his innards were functional to his being.

All of the plastic is cut, The upper torso glued together. Working with stills is a challenge. I know now that the springs in the torso are functional. It's difficult making the build so it can be diassembled. I need an old electric razor !

post-545-0-09983100-1393379742_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-88258300-1393379795.jpg

Thanks very much WJN for the links/videos.

After being innocently rear-ended heavily a couple weeks ago while stopped at a traffic light...then a few days later Farley the poodle spraining his leg (possibly leading to surgery) few days ago the whole family wakes up to a flu and THEN waking up to my garage this morning filled with 3 inches of ice from a busted water pipe/waterfall combo I really needed this! :lecture:

Fireball XL5 was my fave show in 1962 or thereabout and liked it a bit more than Supercar my other special TV treat. The professor always reminded me of Walter Brennan of 'The Real McCoys' which I also watched about the same period.

The ending theme song is indelibly ingrained in my brain, and Robert was always tons of fun to listen to. :biggrin:

Man, that sounds like a tough couple of weeks! We must have had similar tastes, but for me Supercar always had a slight edge, probably because my parents bought me a Supercar toy, and I never had any Fireball stuff.

Of course, my all time favorite was Science Fiction Theater, with Truman Bradley. I wish that was still in circulation!

post-44-0-54175400-1393854486_thumb.jpg

Man, cutting this stuff out with a holesaw...................Learning curve. Dull bits, masking tape, water, high speed and luck. I couldn't find a rectifier the correct size. Made one.

post-545-0-45272800-1393988360_thumb.jpg

Eagle...wow, it's coming along very nicely. You have a real talent for this stuff. I can't wait to see the finished product!