silver/gold strenco st-1

martijn

I found this strenco st-1 robot recently,

caught my eye because of his off color legs face and backpack in the pictures,

and when it arrived it shows it is very much like those plain silver sparkies with golden color legs.

nothing repaint, nothing sprayed, defenitly all original.

I have never seen it before on strenco robots,

and took some pictures in the daylight so you can have a good look,

anybody more info? more examples to show? marco you seen it before you said, dirk, gernot?

post-535-0-97137000-1392564182_thumb.jpg

post-535-0-18040000-1392564266_thumb.jpg

with the sparkies I always thought because the legs where most probably painted with a different batch of silver paint,

reacting in a golden / champagne color.

probably thats what this is also on this strenco???

Hey Martijn,

from what i remember.... i had 2 of these over the years.... and at least one had the same combination, silver and gold....

so my call... must be common...

as long as there are no MUSHROOMS.... its not a rare variation :)
CHeers

marco

I wonder if there was a clear coat applied to some parts and not others before assembly - a varnish that yellowed, causing the gold tone.

hi david, I was thinking the same thing,

that, or a different can of paint that reacts in time turning to this gold,

I wonder if they left the factory like this, probably not because of quality controls

hi brian, no alcohol this time:)

check this link where i found it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STRENCO-ST-1-ST1-Wind-Up-Robot-Germany-1950s-/281265085635?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=gs4VWLjdUTzQDspRR9mAkXQz8DE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

the pictures caught my eye immediatly

brian, needless to say what alcohol does to 5 guys + a beat up red painted junker in 1 robotworkshop :)

marco, thats just the mushrooms talking:):):) you confuse "common" with what you have had:):):)

• 7 months later...

The "gold" is only on the legs of mine, it does look like a varnish, and is stronger on one leg, guess a reaction to sunlight.see below

post-1849-0-11547200-1412004670_thumb.pn

There is one on ebay that has the face legs and back pack with a gold hue

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181541564054

although it is the only one I have seen with a shiny head spring and antenna.

cheers

Chilli

My daughter's Sparky is like that with the gold toning to the legs, does anyone know why this happens to some? Could be sunlight damage or like Chilli says maybe different varnish on the legs or maybe a different stronger tin?

post-298-0-78371700-1412006056_thumb.jpg

This brings up a lot of questions. Like is it a coincidence that this same effect happens on the legs of a robot made in Japan as well as a robot made in Germany? Aren't there examples of the Sparky that have more than the legs (like the face plate too) in the gold tone? It seems to me like the balance of the gold toned parts on the Strenco indicate a possibly deliberate design element.

That yellowing seems to be a very common effect. I have no clue, why this does happen; but my Mechanical Brain shows that effect as well. And if I look very close to my minty ST1; he also seem to start yellowing on his legs...

Archived