Cragstan Jet Smoke flying saucer

Racerxc70

Here's how it's wired, it looks correct as I have copied what Robothut has done, but it does not work

If I use a jumper wire from the top left battery to the motor or the on / off switch at the bottom right it fires uppost-1784-0-03269300-1391809501_thumb.jppost-1784-0-24910300-1391815171_thumb.jp

I see two problems right off. First the red wire that you have running to the motor looks to be shorting on the metal part of the motor tab for the brush fiber mounting board. and second the other red wire that goes to the vertical wiper on the spinning light unit is mangled and bent back the wrong way, that is part of the switch that will turn on the smoker at the right time.besides the light flashing effect. Power switch wiper looks a little mangled as well. I can not see if the black frame ground wire is realy connected to the bottom left battery conector or not in your pictures , so you will have to check that out, use a volt meter if in doubt.

post-7-0-67171300-1391829081_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

I'm not at home this weekend, so I'll check that possible short and realign that wiper when I get back home, the black ground on the left battery is good ( bad photo angle) on/off solder connection is good (bad photo angle)

What kind of oil did you use in the smoker reservoir, (3 in 1 oil?) I bought train oil but it does not produce as much volume as yours did in the video

petrolium based train smoking fluid is what I used and works best. The new glycol based smoke fluids will not work right in this type of smoker. Must be the oil based stuff. Also how much of the oil soaked wick that touches the heater wire is important to producing smoke. To much contact will keep the heater wire from getting hot enough to produce good smoke results,

The opposite is true, as well. To much wet wick and all the heat is sucked out of the little heater wire before it get hot enough and not enough wick will make for a small amount of smoke do to the small amount of smoke fluid avalible at any given time. Just the right balance of wick will produce lots of smoke. But in general less is more when it comes to smokers.

When you get around to checking the wireing you might "with the power switch OFF" try placing a volt meter lead on the metal frame of the gear box and then the top left battery connection. see if you get 1.5 volts,then check the top right battery connection. Since its wire to the top left battery you should still get 1.5 volts. then check the voltage at the bottom right battery connection "the switch" and you should get 3 volts. if you do get 3 volts close the switch and check again , it should still be 3 volts. if its not then check for shorts like the wire soldered to the motor, if it is 3 volts but the toy is still not operating then check at the motor and the wiper switch for voltage. the problem will become clear.

• 4 months later...

I finally got around to finish repairing the saucer, the smoker units tungsten wire was broken and I replaced it and I had to fill the smoker oil reservoir, I used a hypodermic needle and filled it where the wick came through, I'm getting very good at coming up with solutions if I do say so myself. The video is on my YouTube page "racerxc70", maybe someone could upload it here for me, please.post-1784-0-74058100-1402725046_thumb.jppost-1784-0-73752400-1402725073_thumb.jppost-1784-0-19748400-1402725090_thumb.jppost-1784-0-19519300-1402727013_thumb.jp

Robothut,

Thanks for all your help, I could not have done this without you. It was possible to make it shoot smoke in larger quantities and constantly, but that would have reduced power to the lights and besides original function was better in this case. I have another one that is missing a gear and does not move ( I hope that I can find it someday ) and it shoots smoke like crazy.

Thanks again

Great job on the saucer, looks fantastic. You also gave me an idea for the non-smoking ears of my Rosko Bartender!

Nice job on the saucer restoration. I don't have the smoking version but I have always liked this saucer. The litho on the pilot and the control panel are really nice.

Archived