1970's RC R2D2

kennetzel

I hope the link works...I had to type it manually...the cut and paste doesn't seem to work on here any more. Anyway, a while ago I got an RC R2 that didn't work. But recently I picked up a lot of Star Wars toys that included another one. It was listed as not tested and not working. So between some gears I had and parts from the first one I bought, I got one that works pretty well. He tends to bounce around, but he does move and obey the remote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nec_DZ9XeKA&feature=youtu.be

Kenner's RC toys were pretty much failures right out of the gate, Ken. If you managed to get one to work, even a little, you're ahead of the game! :)

Kenner's RC toys were pretty much failures right out of the gate, Ken. If you managed to get one to work, even a little, you're ahead of the game! :)

I couldn't believe when I bought one of these in '79 or '80 or whatever, took it home loaded it with batteries (a lot of 'em I recall) and it didn't work. Returned it and same with the 2nd one. Went for a 3rd and it would light up but didn't move. It's now at my friend George's house where it's been for 10 years. I wonder if the sand-crawlers worked at all, I recall many at the return desk when they were new and EXPENSIVE, I think they were about $70 here in Canada back then.

Congrats on getting yours to work Ken it's really cool to see it roving around the only one I've ever seen in action, great work! :biggrin:

I remember when the remote R2 robot first came out , it was super expencive so I never bought one until they started showing up at flea markets. I have had alot of them and they all worked, but mine were all pre owned. Also I was on a vacation once and drove threw this small town, there was a junk shop that had some robots in the window so I stopped and checked it out. The shop was CLOSED but inside the shop on the floor "wall to wall" were Remote R2 robots ! I would guess around 80 or so. I have no idea where the guy got all the R2 remote robots but maybe he bought a truck load of the defective ones. I have been back to the shop several times too make sure I was not dreaming but its been empty "CLOSED" every time.

John that reminds me of 1981. There was a very old delapidated appliance repair shop originally from the 1940's or so piled with appliances and other odds and ends. For a year or so I looked through the dirty windows at a pile of Aurora Phantom of the Opera model kits in the square box format sitting on a shelf, Aurora had just started to fold a few years earlier.

The old guy in the store always sat looking out the front door but would never open up, he'd just walk away with a snarl if you looked in. One evening I had looked again, walked away then someone knocked on his door and he opened it, I walked in with the other person. He said "Nothing's for sale", I walked over to the model kits and said "I'll give you what I have in my pocket, $11 for 11 of the kits there" I intended to come back to get the other dozen or so but never got back in, anyway he accepted it and softened up a little. I saw many old tin toys on the shelves but he barked again none were for sale. You have to wonder about what happened to all that vintage tin MIMB what looked like salesman's samples I saw there and was never again able to go back in.

Archived