Galaxy Quest robot

Steve's Bots and Rays

I was streaming Galaxy Quest over the weekend and noticed the bot on stage at the very beginning of the movie. Nice prop, I hadn't noticed it before. Hilarious film! One of my all-time faves. -Steve

post-1487-0-21305500-1391477260_thumb.jp

post-1487-0-05140800-1391477287_thumb.jp

I believe that robot was left over from the 1992 movie TOYS with Robin williams, in that film the robots doors open they had a working big screen TV in there. Once a long time ago I posted pictures of that robot prop in storage at the effects shop in LA, the large screen TVs and motors for the tread drive units had been stripped out but the bots were still together.

post-7-0-46550700-1391480429.jpg

post-7-0-81994000-1391480549_thumb.jpg

I sure wouldn't mind having a gigantic Horikawa Mars King inspired entertainment center holding my TV and electronic toys. That would be great. To that point I have been slowly adding cheap full size Robot B-9 parts over the years *(torso, tread section, most of a head, and even legs) that I find on eBay late at night with the intent of building the coolest entertainment center in the universe! But like a lot of projects that will never see the light of day, they all sit in a storage shed wasting away. But one of these days I will finally make that guy. Hopefully!

I sure wouldn't mind having a gigantic Horikawa Mars King inspired entertainment center holding my TV and electronic toys. That would be great. To that point I have been slowly adding cheap full size Robot B-9 parts over the years *(torso, tread section, most of a head, and even legs) that I find on eBay late at night with the intent of building the coolest entertainment center in the universe! But like a lot of projects that will never see the light of day, they all sit in a storage shed wasting away. But one of these days I will finally make that guy. Hopefully!

Like this guy??

post-298-0-98321900-1391648722.jpg

I love that movie. I noticed the robot form the first time I saw the film because it resembles the Attacking Martian...one of my favorite robots. But yeah, I believe it's from Toys...I knew I saw it in some movie before Galaxy Quest, but couldn't remember which one. Thanks John for reminding me which movie.

Here are three pictures of the prop in a FX shop in LA. Pat contact Fred if you think you might want it, he might remember where it was or if its still there. You would have to send him the pictures or link to this page too jog his memory.

post-7-0-13268700-1391704012_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-37172800-1391704030_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-31894100-1391704057_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tip John. Although realistically I just have to accept the fact that no matter how much I might like to build this thing I just don't have any place to put it. And as far as redecorating my living room with this potentially hot new entertainment center, I don't think Robot Modern is a style of furniture Gerti is about to have in her house! My deal with Gerti is a lot like yours with Pam. I can stuff the robot room until it's about to burst, but the rest of the house is off limits for robots and space toys. Which is a good thing otherwise it would look like we're living inside a Toys 'r Us!

Archived