Rotate O Matic mechanism

Racerxc70

Why is it that the mechanism fails to work, I've watched how the two cogged wheels separate to activate the rotating action, but what causes this not to work, any concrete answers? Can someone explain the mechanics please
Thank youpost-1784-0-22798700-1391466341.jpg

If your motor is wired backwards the two gears will not lift and lower they will jam. so make the batterys are in right and that the motor is running in the right direction. Basicly the two gears have a different number of teeth, so they do not rotate at the same speed. Then add in the ramp on one gear and the slot on the other gear and you can see how the ramp will push the two gears apart as the ramp and slot change postion and how the the two gears will slam back to gether when the ramp and the slot are lined up. The gears moving apart then moves the drive shaft up. The end of the drive shaft has a gear on it and when its down it engages the walking gear box and when its up it engages the body rotating gear. You can rotate the motor gear by hand to learn the correct direction of rotation and to test the operation of the shifting gears.

#**%!...so it's that simple, I feel like an idiot(stop smiling) I should have just stopped working on it and went for a walk and then started again, it basic wiring 101, I guess that's what happens when you completely disassemble something to clean it and get in too much of a hurry to reassemble it. ( or it was too much Martian moon gas )

Thank you O wise 1

One of the gears is secured to the shaft. The other one should spin free on the shaft. Sometimes the secured gear spins free too and needs to be super glued back on the shaft. This will cause the separation to happen and the drive gear to drive both the walking and rotating mechanism.

I have two of these, and they are both those Mr. D Cell robots...and neither of them work. THey did like four times when brand new, then they started not going all the way around, then they started jiggling with the doors flapping open and closed...then they started falling over. I have another rotatomatic with a fly eye, and he has been perfect from the day I got him. Got him at Joe's as a matter of fact at my first Botstock at his place. Cost a pretty penny but shows the truth behind you get what you pay for. SOme of these are so cheaply put together they don't last long.

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys: Just a quick question. Don't know if it was answered here already. I have a Rotate O Matic Horikawa. Got it all to work, just have a problem with the rotation. The driving shaft engages for the walking, but when it engages for the guns and rotation, only the guns are engaged but the robot does not rotate. Looks like the rotation gear just spins, but the body does not turn. Any ideas on a quick fix for this one? Thanks for your help. Victor

• 2 months later...

Brought this topic back to maybe help toborthegreat or anyone else who might have his problem above;while searching Alphadrome for my own research for a rotate-o-matic problem yesterday, I found this discussion only to end with an unanswered question that happened to be my exact problem.Everything worked as explained previously,even the rotating and gun gears were spinning but no turning body. Had to take a working "walkman" apart to compare and find the problem. In my photos I show the Chinese Walkman but the setup is almost identical and works the same-when the vertical shaft pops up to engage the two thin gears, one on bottom with only a few teeth for the moving guns operation and the gear on top for the spinning of the robot body, there is also a semi-circle plate that SHOULD be stationary. There is some free-play space (the cut out in the semi-circle plate) and the gear spins till it hits a stop which then causes the body to spin as it should when all works properly. To repair mine I had to carefully peen or hammer the brass spacer/bushing back into shape to once again put holding pressure on the semi-circle plate to hold it stationary while still allowing the gears to freely move as they will due to it being a spacer as well. Make sure before you peen the brass that the cutout is positioned properly for the door-opening lever to fit as well as tapping lightly enough so the copper shaft for the walking gears will still spin freely.

post-1682-0-42378000-1414014464_thumb.jp

red arrow shows brass spacer/bushing that needs to be peened tight,yellow arrow shows stop on top gear and pink shows stop on stationary plate.

post-1682-0-60963500-1414014780_thumb.jp

red arrow here is bottom half of the bushing.

Archived