Display: New Ikea Display Case

Tinman

I visited our local Ikea this past weekend and found they have a new display case for sale, the "Stockholm glass-door- cabinet." As far as I can tell it only comes in two colors, white and yellow, and it's a bit more expensive than the Detolf cases. It does seem to be well made but I'm not a fan of the legs; if you're handy it would fit perfectly on top of two "Expedit" cubes, which is what I'll do if I move forward with it. They provide a good amount of deep display area and would be ideal for all of my spacemen and space vehicles.

If I'm starting to sound like an Ikea advocate I apologize, I assure you I'm not receiving a paycheck from them.

Link to the item:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90239733/

post-329-0-91056000-1391456631_thumb.jpg

The problem with having your robots in cabinets is that you never get to dust them. Most of the time I actually handle my toys is when I'm taking them down from the high shelves every year or two to blast off the cobwebs and sticky layers of fluff. If I let it go too long they start to look like Miss Havisham's wedding cake. Still, if you don't like dust and have the room, this looks pretty nice. Odd, though, how the legs don't really matchl. What about painting them red or blue?

I was just at IKEA yesterday and saw these. They only had the yellow color on display. I thought it was a great case except for the color. The legs don't bother me that much, keep the goods safely off the floor in case of a burst pipe or something.

So those legs come with the cabinets? I thought the cabinets were just sitting on some little table for display. yes if there apart of the cabinets you would have to paint them. But frankly the legs look like crap, I would think wrapping them in wood and adding storage to them or just dumping the legs and getting some short storage cabinet for the base would look and work best.

Most of my Display Cases are " DETOLF " ($65)

easy to install and they fit everywhere

But this new Display is very Nice !

Thanks for the Information.

Hey John....I agree with you....funny post.....the legs are not meant for these....I have shopped at Ikea before and I know they make interchangeable legs.....nice stainless legs would look nice if you decide to go this route.....otherwise I think it would be cool to have this cabinet afixed to the wall free floating if that is possible......anixous to see all your toys when display is finished....;o) best of luck.....Mark/nasa

Great looking cabinet. Horrible legs. I would cut them off and let it sit on the floor. Hopefully the top is flat and can have toys displayed on top. To David's point, if in a finished basement make sure it's off the floor in case of a burst pipe on a frozen winter's night. Been there and it's an experience you never want to live through.

• Brian.. changed the title to Display: New Ikea Display Case

Archived