MIP balancing robot new for 2014 ?

robothut

• 4 weeks later...

Feb 24 is WowWee's official launch date of MIP. They are taking preorders for $119 with "free" shipping. And you can submit ideas for what you want MIP to do in a 6-second Vine video. If your suggestion is the most popular on Facebook you can win the little Segway-like character (MIP is 7 inches tall).

post-40-0-62000900-1393206984_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

If you want to see inside one this link will take you to site where a guy took his apart.

http://www.macetech.com/blog/node/126

So far I can not find out if it can go up and down inclines, all videos show it only on flat surfaces, my little ege shaped balancing robot I bought from korea can go up and down linclines. But the MIP seems to be very stable in balance mode in that you can even put a tray on the front of it and stack on weight, even another robot if you want. To bad they made the remote control your smart phone, not because I don't have a smart phone but because in a few years smart phones will have changed to the point that you can bet they will not operate the robot any more. We can still play with our 50 year old remote control robot now but I bet in 50 years no one will be able to play with a MIP robot.

yes it has some very limited control using the hand signals. but to get full control and drive it around to bring you a beer you have to use the Blue tooth "smart phone , I pad type control". I will probably buy one just to HACK it, seems like a great base for making custom looking robot maybe even a ROSIE. Could be fun to see how big of a body a guy can put on it and still have it ballance.

I just got back from Wallmart, they have them for $89.99 right now in the RC section of the toys department, that is cheeper than any one else I have seen

• 2 months later...

These are sold in Japan as Omnibot Hello? Is this a wow wee robot or a tomy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omnibot-Hello-MiP-Takara-Tomy-two-wheeled-robot-from-Japan-New-FREE-SHIPPING-/161494900590?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2599d89f6e

Here is the auction description,

Description :

Before Asimo, Paro and Aibo, there was the Omnibot. Made by Tomy in the
1980's, Omnibot was like R2-D2, only Japanese and with a cassette tape
player built in! Since then, times have changed. Tomy is now Takara Tomy
and Omnibot is now Omnibot Hello! MiP, a two-wheeled robot that will
dazzle and entertain.

I picked a black one up a few weeks ago. It's a pretty decent robot. The only problem is, there are a lot of features you can do by using an app on your IPhone or tablet, but they have to be pretty new or recent because both my phone and tablet I just got over the summer is not equipped to handle the app. I keep getting "Your device is not compatable with this version." So there are a bunch of things I can NOT do because my equipment is outdated. He does have enough functions on himself you can do. It comes with a quick help guide for basic operation. I like it and all, just wish I can use the phone apps.

Archived