Rust: Video ad for removing rust from toys

robothut

I found this video "add" on you tube for a product that claims to remove rust from toys with out harming any thing else. Safe for your hands and plastic and rubber and even decals.

http://youtu.be/x3jcWEbyLgU

I have never tried the stuff so can not comment on it first hand.

Yes, it is amazing, I use it for automotive parts. It is water based, non-corrosive, and reusable. One of those rare products that actually does what it's supposed to do. There are three or four different brands, but I believe they all use the same ingredients. I use Evapo-Rust. You can get a gallon for $29 and it will last a long long time (until it turns black).

• 2 years later...

So today I finally got around to trying out Metal Rescue on a tin toy that had a few rust bubbles.  The instructions say that it takes from 2 - 48 hours depending on the level of rust.

Before picture:

IMGP4380_(1024x683).thumb.jpg.8984850aa4

and after 1 hour:

IMGP4395_(1024x683).thumb.jpg.d37ba522aa

Ummm...  so apparently the paint on a Tonka toy is one thing and litho is quite another.

oh darn!

Jeez, thank God it wasn't a pricey robot! Sorry that you lost that nice car, though. Many old paints used iron oxide as an inexpensive pigment, usually for red or brown. Iron oxide, is of course, rust, so it dissolves along with the nuisance rust! I discovered this myself, recently. It makes me wonder if the Metal Rescue people intentional picked yellow to avoid the paint dissolving in their advert. In any event, you have be careful what you use it on.

Sorry to see this happen Kilroy. Hope it wasn't a high end/rare toy!?

I'm at the moment experimenting with using ketchup to remove tarnish of chrome parts. It's working really well. Probably not safe on paint though.

It wasn't a particularly expensive toy but still a sad sight.  Stupid thing is that I also threw in an insignificant part from another toy as an afterthought.   DOH!  Should have started with the other part.  I really didn't think this would happen, at worst I expected maybe some discoloration.

Wow. That really sucks ! It really did go for the red pigment and left the rest OK.  I have not used the product my self and I guess I won't unless I want to remove rust from a part that I plan to repaint any way. Yellow oxide pigment is made from rusting Metal also but it did not seem to attack the Yellow paint at all.

I found this video "add" on you tube for a product that claims to remove rust from toys with out harming any thing else. Safe for your hands and plastic and rubber and even decals.

http://youtu.be/x3jcWEbyLgU

I have never tried the stuff so can not comment on it first hand.

I have 2 Tonka trucks toys and have the same rust problem, but i fixed with a rust spray... after that i need sand it and go for a primer coat and aply the new paint.

My go to rust remover is Rust Mort, it's green in color like antifreeze,it dissolves light rust and leaves bare metal, leaving an oily residue that can be wiped away. I get it from a friend who works on a military base, it smells weird and possibly toxic, I only use it in a well ventilated room or outside and with gloves on.

That's a real bummer. Personally. I'd never try such a product, anything that really could eat rust away cannot be good for paint, period. Not to mention leeching underneath the paint where the rust stops. Makes me cringe. :eeek:

• Brian.. changed the title to Rust: Video ad for removing rust from toys