XZ-31 prototype?

Fineas J. Whoopie

I ran across this pic on the internet. What do you guys think? This almost looks like a drawing or CG image particularly around the supposed prototype. Has anyone seen this "prototype" before?

post-143-0-33060500-1390796266_thumb.jpg

The prototype does exist and it's in the Smithsonian -- not the main branch, but the one out by the airport. I haven't seen it yet but I know people who have. If you do a google search it'll come up along with a description.

Yes, it's my dream piece -- I fantasize about dropping into the museum in the dead of night like someone out of Mission: Impossible, snagging the prototype, and disappearing like a ghost. If only... :)

In the meantime I'll settle for getting down there to take a look at it. Hopefully this spring when I'll be heading that way for something else.

I should add that since I can't imagine ever getting to own it, I'm very happy it's some place where everyone can go see it. Much better than being trapped in someone's black-hole collection, hidden from view, and unknown to most collectors.

But I still wouldn't mind owning it must! :)

I well know this photo, but I always had some doubts about the prototype. It's too big to be a toy. Could possibly be a prop gun used in some old Buck Rogers serial?

• 4 years later...

Does anyone know what finishes they came in ? 

I want a nickel plated one !

I will also have a gun metal finish one   That will do me, just the two I wouldn’t want to be greedy .

Archived