1952 - Space Pilot Helmet by Tarco Toy

Joe K.

Here's a section of page 56 from the Lansing, Michigan STATE JOURNAL newspaper, dated Sunday, April 27, 1952 with an ad for the Space Pilot Helmet:

post-16-0-96133800-1388164763_thumb.jpgpost-16-0-65146800-1388164802_thumb.jpg

Tarco Toy is the brand name for the Sidney A. Tarrson Co., Chicago, Illinois.

post-16-0-76604700-1388165858.jpg

And this color vriation:

552668228_spacepilothelmet.jpg.758fb8c6cf278a5ff5f545fc74235c3b.jpg

Joe,

Thanks for posting. How did you find this ad? I have one of these helmets and wondered how you were supposed to make the propeller spin. I guess it might work on a bike.....but I don't think I will try it.

I do a lot of goggle images searches. This popped up probably when I went looking for "space helmets". It reminded me that not all Timeline sightings will come from catalog listings.

You picked a good time to visit last Saturday, Joe. Right now, there's about six inches of snow out there. I should think you're looking at much, much more, eh?

Yes we got snow too. We were lucky, we only got about 8". Other parts of Massachusetts had 24".

Have you ever come across any pictures of the Westinghouse Cosmic Scouts space helmet I found at Renningers last year?

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if kids felt "cool" having one of those goofey looking things on their head? They look more like mom's "Sunday go to meeting" hats than a space helmet. Simpler times I guess.

Archived