Portugese Pyrotomic Space Gun

geoffreypeeters

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the find is throwing off the whole market for them. Not that I care -- I'm not interested in owning any of them.

A seller contacted me today (via my blog) and said he has one to sell if I'm interested. Nope... I'm sure it'll appear on eBay any day now (if it's not already on the site).

This is a fascinating situation. I can't recall another example of such a remarkable space toy flooding the market in such a public way. I've seen other spectacular finds but everyone involved has kept quiet about them. You don't kill the market by blabbing.

The space gun is, in my opinion, an absolute beauty. If one or two had appeared I think most of us would have been impressed and keen to own one. The problem is that the warehouse find of guns has come into the hands of a number of dealers who are falling over themselves to sell quickly. The first example sold for $1500 and I thought that was a very reasonable price. That sale provoked the Ebay goldrush and the sellers are exercising little control. The price is tumbling and no-one knows how many are yet to emerge. It's just a wild rush to cash in. The economic situation in Portugal is not good, so you can't blame them, I suppose. The gun is acquiring a reputation.

You can, however, blame some sellers for blatant examples of shill bidding: it's so obvious that it is ridiculous. One dealer has evidently bought back his own stock and the guns will probably soon reappear. This will give the impression that there are even more available. The multiplicity of color combinations is just adding to the confusion.

I can understand the annoyance and the tendency to say to hell with it. On the other hand I'm confident that this is a truly beautiful rifle and I for one will give it a home (at a reasonable price). In a year or so the market will have settled and we''ll know what these are worth.

What is the supposed age of these guns, are we certain they’re not being produced as we speak? Many toy molds appear to be surfacing south of the U.S. border; take for example the Archer Mars Men sets and Marx futuristic planes which have recently sold for high dollar amounts. Both of these appear to be made from the original molds.

I have a couple of these and they look vintage and original. The castings are also different from the ones from Brazil, Argentina, Spain and USA. The quality is not as good as the other examples; lots of glue runs and splits at the vents, and crappier plastic. With that said, I really like these and I like most of the color combos. Some wacky, some more sophisticated. Somewhat cheazy but all lots of fun. According to a source they came six in a box in various color combos. Too bad there are so many of them. Eventually they will get absorbed into collections and become hard to find again.

Bang on.

May I still question the appearance of an arsenal of examples and market possibilities

that pistols may be the next on this band wagon.

This reminds me of the Austin Magic Gun except on a larger `tulip bulb`scale.

They have not discovered the rifles, they have discovered that they can sell them at high prices. Probably those rifles were lying on the shelves for years.

Hello I'm from Portugal and I can guarantee that rifles are all original , Were found in a closed wharehouse a long time, original packing in hard card boxes of 6 colors combination.

The colors combination i know are 17 but maybe exis more

orange/black
orange/blue
orange/green
orange/ light green
orange/yellow neon
blue/red
blue/yellow
blue/orange
black/yellow neon
black/orange
blAck/blue
black/light blue
black/green
black/light green
red/yellow neon
red/green
Light green/orange

To complete this mess the orange and blue colors can be found in different shades. Its a great toys made in naif colores combination very popular and usual in Portuguese toys from this age, You can find especially vehicles with combinations of bright colors from other brands.

When Portuguese ebay sellers see the value of this toy were some who bought them only to make profit but were not very smart and confusion started now want to recover their money at any cost.

This is a unique opportunity to make a smart purchase, not only is a great toy for any collector but olso a great investment.

I have buy same of ther for me i have sell 3 on ebay and i keep the other for my collection

My English sucks but I think I managed to convey my idea.

Archived