Portugese Pyrotomic Space Gun

geoffreypeeters

What ANZinspace is saying in point nº2 is maybe the truth...

I came up with these this week here in Portugal:

b5zb.jpg
Yep... 2 rifles that are definitely Pyro rifles lookalikes, but probably made here. (3 vents instead of 5 on the front of the guns - cheap plastic - no "Pyro..." markings (or any other for that matter) - plain crank - extensive old glue marks...). The size seems correct though, at about 19 inches from barrel to stock.
zyq4.jpg

kv11.jpg

As you know, Pyro has sent their molds to other countries. Moldex, Kleeware, Lesieur and Tudor Rose all shared some of Pyro's molds - and made amazing toys in amazing colours out of them for markets like the U.K. or Australia (some of them even with slight variations, like for the French X-400 spaceship). It therefore does not sound off to me to have some differences for the Pyro pistol either.

The tooling has travelled. I have seen a Pyro plastic micro-racer car here with different colour scheme and translucid wheels "fabricado em Portugal".

So there was definitely an U.S.-U.K.-France-Australia-Portuguese connection. I am trying to figure out which of the Portuguese toy-company could have made these.

Anyone who can share info with these ?

Geoff's toys - http://geoffstoys.blogspot.pt/

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

All I know about the Ametralladora Espacial is that it's from Argentina. There are signs of some of that classic early space artwork. (I didn't notice that different versions have a number of vents before. This one has the four vents of the Pyro original.)

Brian, I found other color variations of the Portuguese version !

It seems they have been made in lots of other colors... same 3 vents, glue marks on the plastic, monochrome barrel and ... no markings.

IMG_7137.JPG

The gold coloured Argentinian version is pretty cool, though !

Especially the box !

Great collection! Congrats! I saw a couple of them on ebay, it seems they are not so rare in Portugal.

They are rare even here Alessandro. I have lived in Portugal for over 10 years now, attended most toy-shows and flea markets over here and I just discovered these this year. The truth is that my interest in them suddenly "woke up" a lot of other collectors who did not have any idea of what they had in their hands (this is how I got the rifles seen above). Even the big toy museum here in Sintra, with the largest collection of Portuguese plastic toys, does not have any example. Most Portuguese collectors tend to give all their attention to soldiers and cars.

You put together a little treasure! Too bad that they did not produce the pistol too.

I don't know if they produced any pistol or not. I have never seen one (yet). But I never saw these rifles before either... All I know is that there has been some swapping of plastic-injection molds between the US, the UK and Portugal.

This is great stuff!

Brian, is there any way to pull the Portuguese-related posts and turn them into their own, dedicated thread? The information that's been uncovered is really fantastic and deserves to stand on it's own (if only to make it easier to find).

This thread is so cluttered at this point -- I actually wonder if it's worth creating a whole new Pyro-related thread with a clearer discussion of the fakes, the different versions, and the foreign variations. (With perhaps a link to a dedicated thread for the Portuguese versions.)

Just an idea.

Yes, Doc, it's time for a separate topic for this remarkable find of Portugese versions of the Pyrotomic Rifle. I guess the big question is how many of them are out there.

Geoffrey has posted a group of seven or variations, and at least four more Portugese dealers have listed multiple examples on Ebay in the last few days. It's a tricky time to buy when the total out there is unknown.

Archived