Forbidden Planet Remake

Joe K.

Star Trek didn't just borrow from Forbidden Planet, it was a series based on the movie.  "The Cage" was taken right from the movie and added to.

Correction. While Gene Roddenberry did want the LOOK of "Forbidden Planet," the very first Star Trek pilot was an original TV production called "The Cage," starring Jeff Hunter as Captain Pike of the USS Enterprise. This TV pilot was rejected by NBC in 1964 and was never broadcast. The "Star Trek" premise was reworked, the principle roles were recast, and NBC accepted those revisions for the premier of the TV series in 1966. The pilot film "The Cage" was then hacked to pieces and used to build a two-part Star Trek flashback episode called "The Menagerie" which debuted later. Gene Roddenberry may have been inspired by Forbidden Planet, but Star Trek wasn't based on Forbidden Planet.

Here is an interesting frame-by-frame view of The Cage, which clearly shows that it was not taken from the movie Forbidden Planet. It does, however, show how much Gene Roddenberry tried to make it LOOK like Forbidden Planet. And he did pretty damn well, too. The Star Trek pilot was a visually beautiful thing which may be why NBC rejected it.

C57D, United Planets, Sole Survivor of an exploratory party. With her father?

Did you know that Gene Roddenbury wanted a Robot as a cast member from the start?

he was going to use Nomad as a regular but gave up because of costs.

If you don't think the Cage came from Forbiddin Planet then you are living in a Sci Fi dream world.

Did you know that Gene Roddenbury wanted a Robot as a cast member from the start?

I know Roddenberry wanted a robot, but for the sake of cost and believability he opted for an emotionless and logical humanoid character called "Number One" (played by Majel Barrett in the pilot). NBC didn't like the idea of a main character being female, emotionless and logical (maybe they were right), so Roddenberry condensed two characters into one: Mr. Spock, who was as cold, emotionless and logical as a robot.

No, I still don't think that Star Trek was BASED on Forbidden Planet, but I am sure that Roddenberry was INSPIRED by Forbidden Planet. And I thought Sci-Fi was SUPPOSED to be a dream world! LOL

Archived