Forbidden Planet Remake

Joe K.

What ever became of those plans to remake Forbidden Planet? Is it still in the works or has the project been permanently shelved?

God...Please...No...... Remake Forbidden Planet? That would be like remaking Fritz Lang's Metropolis, or remaking The Day the Earth Stood Still... I mean, even with all the ridiculously expensive computer-generated animation available today, they can't possibly remake Forbidden Planet as good as the original, nevermind make it better. The whole deal with the original FP was that it was so far ahead of its time, it ended up changing the way movies were made for the next 25 years... Without Forbidden Planet, I doubt we would have Star Trek, or Lost in Space, or 2001: A Space Odyssey, or a hundred other sci-fi films and TV series... God help us, if it weren't for FP, we might never have had Star Wars...!!! How can anyone do a remake that packs that kind of punch? Say it ain't so... Look what today's Hollywood did to The Time Machine! There are some movies that are better left UN-remade...

Just think of all the new toys a remake would generate!

You mean like all the toys the Lost In Space movie generated? I think I'd have a nervous breakdown if they did to Robby what they did to B9 in the movie version. And would they cast Matt LeBlanc in the new Forbidden Planet? Why not Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer, too? And Jack Nicholson as Dr. Morbius........ SHEESH!

Don't forget about all the episodes of Twilight Zone that used props from the movie. Star Trek didn't just borrow from Forbidden Planet, it was a series based on the movie. "The Cage" was taken right from the movie and added to. I still would like to se a Sequal not a Remake. Dust off Robby and Leslie Nielson and anyone else that still has a pulse.

Zesko: I agree about the Lost in Space Movie. but did you buy any of the toys?   :huh:

In truth, no, I haven't bought any of the Lost In Space movie stuff... In fact, I have sort of bought around the movie stuff, intentionally avoiding it... I mean, look at the LIS movie toys on Ebay, it seems like a full set of toys won't even sell for $9... I think it's because these newer toys (the characters and the robot) had no personalities.... Maybe, given time, I'll soften up on the LIS movie, but I just have a problem with remakes that are geared only to marketing hype, and that have no real improvements over the original movies or TV series. I'd rather see a remake that is a labor of love rather than a gimmick-filled circus of pyrotechnics.

Actually I thought that the trendmasters original style B-9's were kind of neat and great for the retail price at the local toy stores. I sought of heard thru the grapevine that if a new Forbidden Planet movie was made-unlike in LIS-the studio would keep Robby close to the original. Perhaps Mr. Rigg would have some insight on this?

I still would like to se a Sequal not a Remake.

Now that's not a bad idea, a sequel, which could be set 45 years after the first movie... The time involved in space travel, and all that. Dr. Morbius and horrors of Altair IV are just a dim and scary memory, his daughter Altaira married one of the ship's officers and they had children who are now grown, and all seems peaceful at their new home on Earth.... Until..... The grandchildren start to exhibit superhuman intelligence, and it turns out that Morbius had secretly "enhanced" Altaira's genetic makeup and embedded a seed of KRELL intelligence in her, for timed release later!!! So THAT's what Morbius meant when he said, "I suppose I'll have to send her to Earth for the sake of her natural development"... Hell breaks loose on Earth as a breed of new superhumans start manufacturing super-robots and manifesting phantom monsters in an apparent effort to TAKE OVER THE EARTH and start a NEW KRELL CIVILIZATION!! AAAAAGGGHHH!!! Just then, Klaatu and Gort return in the nick of time and.... Wait. I'm mixing up sequels...

:wacko:

You guys have no idea how many Forbidden Planet scricps I have been told about and new Robby designs in the last 10 years. Robby will not look like robby if an when the movie does get remade, count on it. Not something to wait for or think about at least for me, but for kids that never have seen the origional and would not like it even if they did a new version would mostly likly do OK and get so young blood interested in Robots. It would be nice if they would just give all these remake movies new names.

You guys have no idea how many Forbidden Planet scricps I have been told about and new Robby designs in the last 10 years.

Hey, I was just spoofing... "Genetics" and "alien seeds" are the core of nearly all of today's science fiction movies, embellished by a million gunshots and explosions and screams and showers of sparks and smoldering rubble... You are right, though, that all of these so-called "remakes" should just be stand-alone movies with entirely different names, because they don't reflect well on the original movies at all. I may be all alone in this opinion, but I still think the comedy-action movie "The Fifth Element" was the most original science fantasy that came out of the 1990s... And even that movie was full of the Hollywood gimmicks mentioned above.

While I agree with Zesko that FB was ahead of it's time in terms of movie making, I think it was very much OF its time in terms of science fiction. This makes it even harder to remake...

FB had a real attachment to the SF of the 40s and 50s, to John Campbell's Astounding SF and Horace Gold's Galaxy. The Altair 4 murders coming out of man's own uncontrollable Id -- projected via inscrutable alien technology -- seems like a plot point lifted straight out of early writings by Sturgeon or P.K. Dick. And while the beast grabbed my attention, I've always found the tour through the Krell labs -- and the implications brought on by our acknowledgement of such an evolved race of creatures -- to be one of the most fascinating aspects of the film. It's that whole SF "sense of wonder" thing... gee whiz, etc.

Sadly, these "golden age" elements don't often translate into modern films without the film makers adding thirty more gallons of blood. Horror, more than SF. Maybe it can be done, but I don't have much confidence in today's movie studios. Man, I hope it's nevr remade...

Hello,

here I find last week a Original Home-Video German Vision.

The German Movie calls Alarm im Weltall.

The Movie is the same version like the US - version.

But the cover makes me smile ,looks like an Italy version ( sorry Italy )to me.

;)

Volker

post-2-1046598568_thumb.jpg

It's funny -- every poster/box art I've seen for the movie hints at Robby being the villain, charging off with Anne Francis like some deranged letch. As if a robot would have any such interest in a human woman...

I guess that Asimov's laws of robotics don't apply when box office revenues are on the line -- even if the robot in question actually adheres to those laws in the movie itself.

I actually have a client that makes robots for the film and entertainment industries and he swears that he's involved in the design and building of the "new" Robby for the film and I've seen drawings of possible prototypes, but this has been going on for over three years now and I don't actualy beleive anymore that this project will ever get off the ground. After the LIS movie bombed at the box-office I think the project lost most of it's steam. For what it's worth, all the pictures I saw had Robby looking a lot like the robot from the Columbo episode where the upper half of Robby was placed on a large round morotized tank-like base. It actually looked boring to tell you the truth.

Archived