Atomic Planet Robot

robotisland

Thought you guys would appreciate this email I received from a collector and his attempt to repair his Planet Robot...

“I want to share a very funny ( I think ) story with you. Maybe you can post a “warning “on the auction page for these guys. You know how I said I sprayed some lubricant oil into the clock work mechanism…….well bad move. Just like Homer’s barbecue starter fluid scene on the Simpson’s, our little friend decided that he would ignite the excess oil spray with one of his stray sparks and kaboom we have ignition. A very impressive blue flame blasting out of every seam for a split second was the result and a few burnt hairs on my arm. Glad to report my arm is ok and our robot came through unscathed.” :o

Thanks for the reenactment, Jay.

I will use that as a future test for determining metal or plastic constructed robots.

But only under lab conditions.

Goggles, fire extinguisher..etc. :D

What is the Alphadrome consensus on lubricants? Is a thin oil a better lubricant than powdered graphite? I've used graphite for years for all sorts of applications, including some robots.... the advantage being that graphite stays where you put it and doesn't migrate under the force of gravity, like oil does... and graphite isn't likely to burst into flames.

The propelent gass was what ignited not the oil. It is bad to use oil spray in a robot that has a flint because if the oil gets on the flint or striker wheel you will not get any more sparks. The flink and wheel must be dry and free from oil to work.

Archived