Display Case Ideas

Tinman

Believe it or not guys, I'm having my display room carpeted next week and am trying to finalize a direction to go for display cases. Brady's cases are amazing to say the least; he basically married an Ikea "Expedit" shelf cube and "Detolf" display case to raise the case an additional 17 inches, making them just right for a proper display. Because my room is much (much...much) smaller than Brady's I thought about flipping the "Expedit" cube on it's side and actually using the shelf aspect for books, etc. to make use of the space. Searching the interweb for ideas I stumbled across a guy that seems to have had the same idea, only better. It appears he purchased an 5-shelf "Expedit" unit and mounted(?) four "Detolf" display cases on top. I think it would be a real space saver although I'm concerned about the structural integrity of the shelf unit...according to Ikea, each display case weighs upwards of 90 lbs.

Any Ikea experts out there that would have any thoughts? Here is a pic of his display:

post-329-0-20867900-1384803557_thumb.jpg

I also found an idea for adding extra shelves to the display cases...pics:

Tinman, I see pros and cons to both of these ideas.

As for the cases, I think the multiple Expidit unit shown in this picture would probably work well, as the top panel is long and supported by several short standing center dividers. I would not try this with a single case on a single Expidit box, on it's side...with the opening out, the Expidit side panel would not be able to support the full unit's weight on top like it does when "tipped up" in my design.

As for the shelf supports, again, it is simple and would work for very lightweight items. However, the shelf shown here is only supported at 4 small points leaving the glass plate to bear the brunt of the load, since the side rods no longer support the edges along their full length.

Bill...wish I could help......I know this subject has been broached before here on AD.....maybe the old thread can be found......best of luck....nasa

Thanks Brady, I agree with all that you said and appreciate the input. The guy that demonstrated the shelf supports said he used them to display his 1/24 scale diecasts, which would probably work fine. I've been searching the web and asking a lot of questions to finalize my decision because I want to head to Ikea this coming weekend in an attempt to avoid going on Black Friday weekend. Once I get the room carpeted and the baseboard molding installed I want to start populating the room, my collection has been boxed for way too long! The 5-shelf Expedit system is probably the route I'll take, mostly because of my space issues, but I may try to incorporate additional support or stabilization. Of course I may be overthinking things, my room is on a concrete slab and should be very stable...unless we have another earthquake.

Looking at the shelf supports in the modified version I believe you will be fine. Those are are re-purposed cable clamps and in themselves can support a lot of weight in the way they are utilized. The glass can also support more weight being properly supported in this fashion. I would say no worries - do what you need to do to make this work for you. Unless you are supporting your Joe Weider weight collection you should be AOK!

I like the clamp idea, a couple of felt pads and it should work well. I cringe a little looking at all that light particularly by a window but we all have to work with what we have.

Many of my cases are similar to Ikea's but a different brand with the same issues for adding extra shelves. one solution I used was to make U shaped stands out of bent acrylic and I also experimented with cutting notches in acrylic "extenders" but had not achieved satisfactory results in the early going. Both are in this picture.

post-548-0-48877700-1384876477_thumb.jpg

Well, I made an Ikea run last Saturday and the carpet guys are coming tomorrow; the final touchup and baseboard molding shouldn't take too long and then I can start populating the room with my collection. Looking forward to seeing it on display although it's gonna be tight; I'm thinking I'll have to rotate a piece every now and again.

Sounds like you're on your last Lap Bill! I can't wait to see pictures of your collection on display. Which IKEA cabinets did you finally get?

Hi Joe. I went with the Detolf cases in the same configuration shown on page one of this thread, but in the black-dark brown color that Brady used. I also purchased a LED lighting kit for all four, a single illuminator in the top-center of each case. I was researching various ways to light the Detolf cases but I think some people go overboard and light them too much. I'll more than likely have room for two more cases along the same wall and maybe something along another, unfortunately the room is only about 12'x11' and will also serve as my computer room.

• 1 month later...

Well, today I was putting together my Ikea Detolf display cases and had a bit of an accident; while picking up the rear glass panel of my 4th case I lost focus for a split second and BAM, it shattered into a million/million and a half pieces! Yes, I let the glass bow a little too much...stupid...stupid! Looking over the Ikea site it appears I'll have to purchase a whole new case because of a mindless mistake but I'm waiting on an email response to confirm. My display room is kind of small so the current plan is to have 4 cases on the Expedit shelf and one on either side using the small cubes. I also have room for another display system but I'm still thinking on that one...of course any remaining walls space will be filled with ray guns and the like. Here's what I have so far:

post-329-0-56030100-1390189497_thumb.jpg

Looking good, nice clean design. It's always a dilemma trying to house all these toys (nee: art) in an organized fashion. John R. seems to do it best but not all of us have the facilities the size of a horse training centre with thousands of (safe) lights LOL! I've had the same main 6 foot store display case for about 26 years ( :ohmy: ) geez time flies doesn't it??

Everytime someone posts their housing for these toys it helps to get a perspective on what works for which toys and/or which works for witch toys (yeh I've got a few of those too).

Sorry for your loss on the glass piece, see if there's a glass cutting place close by and maybe they could accomodate the piece for a reasonable price likely far cheaper than the entire unit. Tempered glass isn't cheap but could be less to have the piece cut?

Best of luck with the units.

Take the broken case back to IKEA . Put it back in the box and tell them that one of the panels had a crack in it and when you lifted it

out, it just shattered into tiny pieces 1/4 inch square. they will first see if there is another broken parts machine with that panel and if not, they will just give you another whole case as a trade. No Questions Asked. When I broke a door once, the glass went everywhere and I still find tiny pieces of glass in the room where the Cases are.

Archived