Domes: How do you tell an original dome?

chilli

Hi,

I am lucky enough to have purchased a nice Robby from Marco, thank you Marco excellent, and can see that the dome is original,it is slightly aged in colour and slight wear , but say you bought this http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOUET-ANCIEN-ROBBY-THE-ROBOT-CIRCA-1955/360493743732?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D1279157977230209460%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D360493743732%26

How would the dome differ from the copies, if it has been boxed as as states A+ cond. Why`I ask is the small screw is missing from behind the dome and at that price, $4,641.00, you would want it to be original!

Not that I am in interested in buying. Just learning.

Also how does the astroman and space conqueror repro domes differ, who does the best copies.

Can you slightly reshape an astroman dome back to original shape as they seem to warp, I was thinking dipping in hot water an slightly easing back to shape.

With a faded dome (conqueror) does the restorer for clear plastic work. its a slight abrasive that is sold in car part shops and also works on aircraft windows

I can see the repros of the gear robots front panels do not have the slight raised ridge around the bottom.

So many questions and such a small brain!!!

Many thanks

Mark

I was watching Mechanized Robot sales for a long long time and one thing I noticed is that when the screw at the back of the dome was missing, the dome seemed to be less likely to have any cracks/shrinkage damage although the dome itself may be misshapen a bit. Apparently they do shrink sometimes with age and from the ones I'd seen on-line some of them with the screw still there appeared to have more damage from not allowing the dome to grow smaller.

This is just my personal opinion of what I've seen out there.

Could be some people took the screw out purposely or more likely it just tended to loosen and fall out with play. Mine is missing the screw at the back and the dome is not cracked or crazed at all but appears to have shrunk a bit but still looks wonderful and have no reason to believe it's a replacement.

ROBOTHUNTER has had many of these and I'm sure he'll share his expertise here. :lecture:

Thanks Morbius, mine has a couple of small stress marks aiming down towards the screw so that must be the reason.

But is there a visual clue as how to spot an original dome.

As I say I have noticed that the repro gear robots clear front plate does not have the bevel on the bottom, just wondering what production domes have that repros dont.

Thanks

Mark

• Brian.. changed the title to Domes: How do you tell an original dome?

Archived