SH Collection

larry seven

🙂 Here is my SH Horikawa collection as of today. I've tried to collect mostly tin, but I do love all SH robots.

I have tried to gather a diverse representation of the various faces and actions, but as of yet, I don't have a Busy Cart or Forklift Robot. I also don't have a windup robot, you know, the small gear or engine robots that wind up. In fact, until this year, I didn't even know that they existed.

You can see in the picture that I have two of the Roto Robots, a Gold one, and the grey Roto Robot. I would eventually decide which one should go, I don't want to keep every variation of them, just a good collection of Horikawa's. However, I do love the Mars Explorers, and I would love to have every variation!

I also have fallen in love with the Secret Weapon Space Scouts, due to an earlier thread here on Alphadrome where your pictures of them brainwashed me! (I'm easily swayed when it comes to deciding whether or not I want robots!).

I also have a Variable Speed Gear Robot and a Turn Signal Gear Robot, and I am wondering if the Golden gear Robot is the best representation of that type. Maybe I want one because I don't have one!

Also missing in my collection are any of the Television Robots. I've bid on a few, but no luck yet.

OK, Alphdrome lurkers, who wants to be next with some of your family photos? I'd like to see some collections of later plastic SH Robots. Thanks, -Larry 7

SH_Family_Pic.jpg

post-2-1092625989.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Larry very nice Horikawa collection...

I also want to congradulate you on winning that

Silver Space Scout. I really wanted that one, but

let it go when I saw you wanted it. I thought if

I started bidding on it, I would only be pushing the

price up. I'm glad that you ended up winning it at a

very low $150.

If you want to see some of my Horikawas, click below

Robotnut's Horikawa Robots

Oh ya a picture...

group1.jpg

Hey larry-

How well do your Roto-Robots work? Mine "works" as far as the fact that it walks, guns fire and it rotates, but it rotates so slowly that it tips over at a certain point (I think one foot could use some adjusting too). I'm curious how quickly a properly working Roto-Robot is supposed to rotate. Maybe a good one for the video thread?

🙂 Thanks, Robotnut, I was going to bid up to about $300. for the Silver Scout, but that is stupid of me, because his silver finish looks to be very worn! So I'm relieved to see that I got it relatively cheap. If I upgrade that robot someday, I'd be glad to pass it on to you for the price that I got it for, or trade. I love to trade. They certainly haven't shown up this year like last year. More of the grey/brown Scouts with the astronaut face have been up for auction than either the Silver or the robot faced variety. I have an extra brown one with astronaut face right now, -in lesser condition, but he works well.

By the way, anyone who doesn't own one of these, they have a paper on and off switch!

To Fineas- my gold Roto Robot walks OK, didn't fall or anything. But the grey one just lights up, no walking for now. I'll open him up and clean all the contacts inside and then post my results. -Larry 7

🙂 Excellent collection, Robotnut! Tell me about the smaller sized Video Robot, and your other smaller sized shooting robot. I've actually never held one in my hands, do they use C-cell batteries? Do the batteries go in the back, or in the top like a Roto Robot? Where is the on off switch? How many varieties of these smaller SH robots are there? It may actually be possible to collect every single variety of these smaller framed Horikawa's! I believe that it would be a life long challenge to collect all varieties of the regular Horikawa's, maybe I'm zero-ing in on these smaller robots to look for! Thanks, -Larry 7

Larry, thanks for your kind words. Not being a high end

collector, I really enjoy collecting Horikawa Robots. You

can always find something new and no one has them all.

I'm certainly glad I didn't bid on the Silver Space Scout.

It would have just pushed up the price as I was going to

bid $220. As for the small Video Robot, the one I have

is the lithoed version. There is another version that has

the word VIDEO on the front, but it lacks the detailed

litho. This robot is actually quite common and rather

inexpensive. I payed $40 for mine about 5 years ago

and I see them all the time for less than $100. The

small brown shooter is a later version of Mr. Zerox.

He is quite a bit smaller that the Video Robot and is

built on a totally different chassis. Below these are

a brown Fighting Robot and a Super Space Commander

TV robot. It really is amazing how many different chassis

that Horikawa used over the years. Many collectors

discount Horikawa's as just being made from the same

parts. When in reality there are hundreds of models

built on a couple dozen body styles. Zerox is about

7 inches, Video Robot 8 inches and the two below about

10 . All of these guys use 2 C-cells and have switches

on the back. All of them cost me less than $50, except

for Zerox which was about $100 .

www.robotnut.com

post-2-1092664558.jpg

I just had to step foreward and tell you, nice collections. Horikawa (SH) are my absolute favorites. They are usually in my price range which suits me fine. When I get my silver Attacking martian together. I'll post my small and meager collection. I'm still looking for a short in the wiring. Looking good and keep it up. ;)

🙂 Thanks Robotnut. They are great, I think that they look like they have their neck stretched up way out, maybe the robots are taking a gulp! -Larry 7

I like the roto robots too! I have been looking for a decent example off and on for awhile now. Let me know if you decide to sell one Larry, I will gladly take it off your hands! :D

Mike Van, nice grouping, they definately illustrate the

various body styles. Unfortunately, I don't think the

Saturn Robot in the back left would qualify as a Horikawa.

Saturn Robots were made in Hong Kong by Kamco and

then in China by someone else. I do remember that

this style of robot was first made in Japan by Masudaya

in the early 80's, but I can't remember what the name of

it was. Maybe Mr. Jan or someone else can let us know

what the first Saturn type robot was named and post

a picture ?

I have a few variations of the Saturn Robot at...

Plastic Battery Operated Robots

:) Duxastrogirl, the Golden Roto Robot is a tin body with plastic head, a metal mouth, the head flips up backward to reveal the 2 C-cell battery box. His arms and legs, feet are also plastic. When he is turned on, he walks and rotates at the same time, shooting all the way around at all times. I just love the robot face on them.

Rocket_2, what a wonderful collection! Well done. I have just recently discovered the Piston Head Robot, It's so cool!. Very nice Mars Explorer Robot! Are the tracks tin? If so, what action do it use when in motion? And what a great set of the little guys! Tell us about your Golden Attacking Martian with the green windows on the doors. It is to the left of the Gear Head Fighting Robot. Is it an old one from the '60's, or a newer robot? Amazing. Thanks, -Larry 7

I'm really impressed by these photos. I've enjoyed seeing so many different examples arranged next to each other -- it helps illustrate just how much variation went into the SH line of robots over the years. I'd never have believed that one company could come up with so many distinct styles that all revolve around just a couple basic design elements. Very cool -- thanks for the pics, guys!

Archived