1952 - Captain Video, Flash Gordon, Irwin, Archer toys

Joe K.

Here's the ended auction listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-COMPREHENSIVE-CATALOG-BLACKWELL-WIELANDY-CO-ST-LOUIS-MO-TOYS-/190861757284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c703f4b64&nma=true&si=NTudGCwwZusQVJ2OIFGADJLGEsM=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The dated catalog cover:

post-16-0-63168500-1374159728_thumb.jpg

This page, specifically:

post-16-0-52375000-1374161208_thumb.jpg

Depicted (top row):

Captain Video Rocket Launcher by Lido. NEW to the Timeline. See Database.

Captain Video "18 Spacemen" set by Lido. NEW to the Timeline. Anyone have this set? What is the exact name?

Captain Video Supersonic Space Ships (4 ship set) by Lido. NEW to the Timeline.

Captain Video "8 Ship" set by Lido. NEW to the Timeline. Again, anyone have this exact set and can provide the name?

(second row):

Archer Plastic Space Ship is the title of the caption, but the photo and description is for the three Archer "futuramic cars" pictured. Possibly NEW to the Timeline.

Flash Gordon Space Outfit by Esquire Novelty Company. NEW to the Timeline. Note: the caption for this item belongs to the Flash Gordon 500 Shot Water Gun Set pictured in the third row, and vice versa.

Irwin Man From Mars. Already Timeline dated to 1952.

Rocket Ship and Spacemen with Removable Helmets by Archer. This set has been discussed and photo'd but is NEW to the Timeline.

(third row):

8 Piece Soldier Set

Plastic Video Space Flash Ray Buzzer Gun. This was probably never put into production. See this SPACE GUNS thread:

Flash Gordon 500 Shot Water Gun Set by Esquire Novelty Company. Already Timeline dated to 1952. See Database.

I believe this is the Rocket Spaceship 305 by the Automatic Toy Company which has already been Timeline dated to 1952.

(bottom row):

8 Piece Deluxe Western Figures

3-Color Space Ray Gun by Ideal. Already Timeline dated to 1952.

Space Ship Express with Sparkling Friction Motor by Irwin. Currently Timeline dated to 1953. This sighting moves it back one year.

??? All I can make out is "goggles" and "Flash Gordon". Will need to do more research.

1952 was a good year for space toys made of plastic in the US.

In Germany toy producers laid down after WWII. Around 1950 german toys mainly went into export.

First around mid 1950s new toys were created, went into german toy shops. Many companies started

production of plastic toys between 1954 and 1957. Although first production samples can be dated back to very late 1930s.

Congrats, Doc. Nice to know it's found a good home!

With 620 pages, I can't help but think there's GOT to be a few more gems in there. I'll be awaiting your update.

Thanks for posting Joe. Hope to see some closer pics when you get the catalog Doc.

Archived