Biped Cart Robot 1/3 scale

robothut

I have been thinking about building a full scale robot cart that I can ride in much like Woo the Robot Farmer did, only I want to use a different leg linkage design. So I took the Theo Janen's linkage design that he uses for his StrandBeest projects and modified it for Biped operation. This 1/3 scale robot cart that I have built weighs 21 pounts and is made of wood ,plastic and metal. It is powered by a single RC type servo that has been modified for continues rotation and to have dual output drive shafts. The leg linkage design allows this small servo to operate this heavy robot quite nicely. Here is a You Tube Link to the operation of the cart robot.

http://youtu.be/0DiCkZVz8C4

and here is alink to a page I did on the project on my web site.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/CartRobot.html

Here is the janen's linkage design I started with. Well I got my numbers from Theos web site last year but these are close to the same thing.

Theo Jansen (born 1948) is a Dutch artist. In 1990, he began what he is known for today: building large mechanisms out of PVC that are able to move on their own, known as Strandbeest. His animated works are a fusion of art and engineering; in a car company (BMW) television commercial Jansen says: "The walls between art and engineering exist only in our minds." He strives to equip his creations with their own artificial intelligence so they can avoid obstacles by changing course when one is detected, such as the sea itself

post-7-0-02752500-1365869716_thumb.jpg

That's great John! You're quite the Renaissance man. Full scale would be amazing. Always liked the Strandbeests -Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Archived