Vintage Buck Rogers Pinback

Tinman

I finally picked up a vintage "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" pinback but it's kind of funny, after seeing them on the internet all these years I had no idea they're about the size of a U.S. quarter! A question for the Buck Rogers collectors, do these date from the 30's, 40's, or 50's?

Auction pic:

post-329-0-96338500-1362611376.jpg

Bill, according to Hake's pricing, 1935. They have also been reproduced. I don't know why because it's the least expensive of the round pins. You almost have to see a repro and good one together to notice the difference. The graphics are not as sharp and as bright colors. I've had mine for at least 20 years. I think the repros are within the last 5 years or so. Also I think the Explorer pin has been reproduced. I saw some advertised cheap on ebay about 5 or so years ago in colors other than red backgrounds. The prices gradually increased and then disappeared altogether. They were from Argentina. The solar scouts pin has definitely been reproduced and easy to spot. No patina, and not good detail. Another items is the pennants that started showing up. They are an authentic items but all of a sudden large numbers of them showed up on ebay, then disappeared. They were in great condition but easy to reproduce. Very suspicious.

Thanks for the information Phil. The one I received is "guaranteed" to be vintage and was sold by a reputable dealer of pinbacks, it also has the paper advert on the reverse. I received it yesterday, and the patina looks right too.

Auction pic:

post-329-0-71937900-1362682790_thumb.jpg

Great information Joe, I'd say it'd be pretty hard to confuse a vintage with a repro! Thanks for the link.

post-329-0-44933900-1362800569.jpg

Archived