Pics of my Andybot studio

Andyman

As some of you know, we suffered flood damage in May of 2012. Mostly cosmetic damage to flooring, carpeting and paneling. Since our insurance covered most of it I decided to renovate my small work area or "studio" where I create my Andybots. The ceiling was done the previous winter. The copper tile look is actually a plastic product called "ceiling skins" that you put over existing drop ceiling tiles. That in of itself really classed up the place. Originally this was just a white room with a boring white drop ceiling.The water damaged the lower parts of the drywall and all of the paneling that goes halfway up two walls.

studio%202%20sm.jpg

The wall display cabinets came from Ikea and ended up being a lot bigger than I initially thought they were...which was great!

studio%201%20sm.jpg

It's a bit messy in these shots. It tends to get that way when involved in a project. Previously I had boxes of junk parts stack all around the room. My strategy was to find a way to hide all of my junk parts or to be able to put them away on a moment's notice.

studio%203%20sm.jpg

That "half dresser" is another Ikea product. The two lower drawers tilt out like a bin and holds all kinds of wire, sheet metal, scrap wood and the like. The smaller unit (from Hobby Lobby) serves as the cable modem and wireless router station. It's drawers holds miscellaneous metal parts and what nots.

studio%204%20sm.jpg

Although you can't see inside the closet to the left of the workbench there, it hides a pretty good size parts bin rack from Harbor Freight that has removable plastic bins which holds many of my smaller parts. This works out great because I can just pull out the bins I need. At the end of the day I can just hang the bins back onto the rack and close the closet doors.

This room is connected to our family room down in the lower part of our tri-level. Yes, I could just close the door and it would out of sight of visitors but...we adopted a new cat recently and have her litterbox in there so the door must remain open for now.. Our last cat had it's litterbox in the crawl space which is accessed by a door in our family room. We originally had a "cat door" cut into the access door but...well...since the flood I redesigned our door into the crawl space and it is no longer "cat accessable"...because...

Shelf%20door%203.jpg

...it's now a secret entrance bookcase door! How cool is that?

Shelf%20door%204.jpg

Shelf%20door%207.jpg

The cat is not authorized to have the access codes to the door.

Great looking workspace, Andy! I'm still struggling to set something up in my condo that won't drive my clutter-hating girl out of her mind...it's a challenge, as there's no place to tuck away an out-of-sight spot in an open floor plan.

I really like the idea of having stuff in boxes that can easily be stashed, and taken out when inspiration strikes. I basically have to design an entire studio that will stash like that, yet be easy enough to get to so that it's not just too much hassle to bother with.

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of your new workspace...your bots are always an inspiration to me to get making stuff.

Cheers, Dave

Thanks, Dave. I'll try to remember to get some shots of the hide-away bins for you. I just gotta figure out how to hide the cat box!

Looks great Andy! I have to admit organizational skills are not my forte. I did manage a cleanup last year just before some Alphadromers visited but it never seems to last. Good luck keeping yours neat. I guess with all of that organization you'll be able to crank out Andybots even faster....or not. That ceiling does look really cool. Are they 2' x 2' panel covers or 2 x 4?

Looks great Andy! I have to admit organizational skills are not my forte. I did manage a cleanup last year just before some Alphadromers visited but it never seems to last. Good luck keeping yours neat. I guess with all of that organization you'll be able to crank out Andybots even faster....or not. That ceiling does look really cool. Are they 2' x 2' panel covers or 2 x 4?

Thanks, Joe. The panels are 2' x 2'. I got them from http://www.wishihadthat.com/

Really great workspace. The one thing I hate about living in an apartment is not having a room for projects.

The secret door is very cool, too. Every mad scientist needs one! :)

Nice workspace Andy! I like the Ikea display cabinets. I'll have to look into those. -Steve

Nice shop Andy ! The tool cabinets under the work bench. Who makes those ? Love the Saturn V . A cat creature adopted us last fall. Teonia wanted a cat tree for K2 . There are some ugly overpriced cat trees out there. Logan industries built this one in an afternoon for less than 50 bucks. :biggrin:

So neat and tidy ! I would have to spend alot of time in your shop to get it messed up to my normal level of crap every where look. Great shop Andy.

What a nice studio ANDY! Must be just fun to work there...

BTW ... What are these problem solvers for - the bots or the cats?? :biggrin:

post-11-0-35556500-1362441552_thumb.jpg

What a nice studio ANDY! Must be just fun to work there...

BTW ... What are these problem solvers for - the bots or the cats?? :biggrin:

Haha, Dirk! Bots, cat, wifey...whatever they're needed for. ;)

Archived