Best Buy Ever Contest ! ! !

Keith Palmer

Gentlemen, it's bragging time! Maybe there are more winning stories out there than got-hosed stories. And good or bad, don't we all enjoy stories? A well-spun buying tale is often more interesting than the toy.

Soooo, how about sharing your best buy? For example, I see Stan picked up an original Mr. Atomic recently for $1500 on ebay under a buy-it-now. But is that Stan's best buy? How about some mis-classified ebay finds that you bought right? Early morning flea market discoveries? Phone calls to your answering machine that actually panned out? Garage sale buy? Country auction win? And just like last time, it IS a contest, but I'm not sure about the prize. Nevertheless...

Who has bragging rights on Alphadrome?

Hi. I'm new to the forum and I figured I might as well jump in. I realize this won't compare to most stories -- my collection is still on the smaller side -- but nonetheless, it allowed me to pick up a cool piece.

I was visiting Los Angeles and, deciding to play the part of the tourist to the hilt, headed over to Universal Studios. I knew there was a T.F.A.W. shop there (owned by Mike Richardson of Blast Off and Dark Horse Comics fame) and figured there might be some cool robots. Turns out that they had a Metal House T.V. robot available for $150 -- a little too steep for my budget at the time. The saleswoman mentioned that they really needed to move the toy out to make space for new stock; she was willing to negotiate. After a little back and forth, I walked away with the toy for $75, including tax.

Like I said, a small victory, not likely to win bragging rights, but it still worked out well.

-dratomic-

I would love to tell you guys I got some of my prized peices, like my blue piston Robby or C-Cell short legged Mechanized Robby at a flea market for $20 bucks, but it didn't happen that way. But my best bargain story is actually about a space toy. I was at a guys house in Brooklyn buying several robots and the guy "threw-in" a weird space toy he had never seen before and didn't really like. He paid $8.00 for it and thought he was doing me this great favor. He was right. It was a Radicon Space Pathfinder that I sold the next day for alomost two grand!! And this guy really knew his robots which is what makes the whole thing so amazing!

I am always looking for eBay & Yahoo auctions that are not only misclassified but misspelled, too. Awhile back, I accidentally found the listing "Metal Astronat" in an antique category, part of a larger moving sale. The item listing was brief, gave measurements and shipping info, but didn't use the word "robot" or anything else my search engine would normally recognize. It did feature a photo, though, so I bid on it and won it for $40, with only one other bidder over seven days. The "Metal Astronat" was a fine Horikawa Fighting Space Man in working condition. The tin-plated gods were pleased.

well, the stories were great, and robothunter is clearly the winner for stumbling onto big-time value. but... there is a slight deduction for immediate profit-taking. the winner is velocity, for his late night alternative spelling search strategy and that he can still point to his robot.

for those who participated, i have set aside some prizes. gentlemen, please choose from: sotheby's matt wyse catalog (with results), any of the small masudaya wind-ups (gang of 5, r-35, robby), bright 'n shiny bender robot, or a taschen robot book.

drop an email to KeithSays@aol.com to redeem!

Archived