Junk Box Robot

Grandpa

As we have started talking about a Junk Box Build in another thread I thought I would kick it off with "Charlie" the Junk Box robot. It was built out of some old blocks of wood and watch parts, button batteries and an asortment of stainless steel screws. The Head swivels on a ball bearing and the red mouth was made from a Q-tip shaft and colored with a magic marker, the body was stained and clear coated with shellac.

I forgot to how much I enjoy working with wood, it look great and is so easy to machines and turn on the lathe. This may be the first in many wood robots.

post-242-0-16989000-1360266964_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-53423700-1360266981_thumb.jpg

Looks great. What type of wood did you use.

I used Poplar, just because it's what I had availabe. You could also use Alder or Basswood which are also closed cell woods.

Wooden somebody love to have that! Nice work there, Gramps!

It's funny you said that, right after I posted, my wife looked at it and said it was really cute and she then said thanks as she walked off and placed it on her computer desk. Oh well...gotta keep the wife happy!

There is something warm about working with wood. The wood itself adds character to the piece. Joe has some wood robots in the shop. I can't find the photo's of them right now......Gramps,,what happened to the aluminum robot you were building two yrs ago while we were doing the ,,,,shoot, I can't even remember what we were building ??

There is something warm about working with wood. The wood itself adds character to the piece. Joe has some wood robots in the shop. I can't find the photo's of them right now......Gramps,,what happened to the aluminum robot you were building two yrs ago while we were doing the ,,,,shoot, I can't even remember what we were building ??

Mark,

That Robot is in my junk box :) I may finish it someday.

Archived