Robot Build Off

Grandpa

A few years ago Mark (Eagle) started The Dollar Store Robot Build Off that was a huge success that had many members building a vast array of fantastic robots. Since it's been slow lately on the forum and winter being here maybe it is time to have another Robot Build Off!!! I suggest the rules to be "NO Rules", in other words you can use any material, any manufacturing process (hand, machine, etc). You can even use existing robots and modify them.

Just like the last Build Off, we will have NO judging, and No Awards. :biggrin:

Let's hear if we any any interest on a new Build Off!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy,

The idea of building anything, using any media was a thought to get normal non robot builders involved. But if most member want a theme then let's do a theme Build Off. In any event let's try to get something going to add some excitement back to the customized robot section.

The theme doesn't have to be complicated. Just a focal point. Say...a rabbit robot or their version of R2D2. The "any media" "any skill level" approach still works with that idea. People can approach it seriously or humorously...or in my case, both. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Gramps ,,,always glad to hear from you ! I'm with Andy. Build anything you want is what we have in custom robots right now. Very few of us are building anymore. I haven't built a thing in 2 yrs. Funny you should mention the dollar store competition. This morning I was down in the shop. Looked up on the shelf and there sits the Star Trek Enterprise I built for that competition. Two thoughts were generated. Put it on Ebay. Nah,,not worth a dollar. Throw it out. I was headed down to the shop to do just that. Throw it out,,when I stopped by here. That thread had 12,000 hits before it was deleted. That always has bothered me. All that work that inspired many to create,,just wiped out. You need to have a build theme to get the creative juices flowing. If you guys could inspire me to build again ,,it would be a miracle . Even John doesn't build anymore. My favorite bot ever was 3M's simple Simon. I'm afraid it was a time and place that we may never return to ! It was a fluke. Good God it was fun ! Maybe some new guys will pipe in. Any of you guys have your DS contributions ? Even Scott Cragstan built a cool bot. Spark, Phil, John taught me what a pin-walker was in that build-off. post-545-0-17058100-1359346578.jpg

post-545-0-86775400-1359346601.jpg

post-545-0-67957300-1359346626.jpg

I still build. Last year I built 102 things but only one of them "a big one" was a robot "the robot fortune teller". I wanted to build more robot stuff but just did not have the time. This year even with the the normal winter temps out in the shop I have started two robot projects. One is a cool new walking robot and the other is for Botstock if I can get it done by then. Again the temps make it almost impossible to cast any thing or even paint and glue unless I am willing to bring the stuff into the house and that does not go over real good with the wife. I may have to bite the bullet and just heat one of the smaller rooms out in the shop, but that takes money and non of these robot projects will be generating any money.

So the dollar store thread got deleated, I had no idea. I think if we can dig up pictures that we might have saved from that thread we should re post them as that was a great thread, full of imagination. just about any topic on the Drome should have been deleted before that one!

I found that I saved the robots I built for the dollar store build off to my web site. so here are the links for those that want to see all 4 of them.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/DollarStoreBots2.html

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/DollarStoreBots.html

Oh man, I SO WANT to see the pics from that competition! I stumbled across a small pic of the winning entry after seeing it mentioned in another tread, and it looked AMAZING! I wanna see more pics of that 'bot and others! I am currently working towards building a robot from tinplate, and would love to have this competition to spur me on! Ooooh, too many exclamation points for one post...but I really am excited...(!)Cheers, Dave

Mark,

Sorry for not answering sooner. It' been over 2 years since I have built anything just like you. But mine has been due to health reasons. I've been spending about 1/2 hour a day getting my spare bed room shop up and running, so I'm going to try to build something, it just may be slow going :angry:

The Dollar Store build off was a HUGE success, and it was not theme based. The Boiler Plate theme build off met some resistance and had far fewer entries and that was why I mentioned an open build. You may be right about it being a different time that may never be repeated. So let's try The Dollar Store II Build Off :thumbs: If I recall correctly it was building from Dollar Store items that could be modified and we also included Hardware Store items and items found in your junk box.

Let's see if we can get it going again!

Action Robot,

It was included in the original Dollar store build. Maybe we should just drop the Dollar store and call it the "Junk Box and Hardware store Build Off" :thumbs:

Besides I can get around easier on my mobility scooter at Home Depot or Lowes than I can at our local Dollar store with it's narrow isles. I think I'll start building today, if nothing else I'll have a new robot :biggrin:

I have so many projects right now,,but what the heck. I don't own a Zathura Robot or Rocket . Always liked both. Just picked up a Hobart 190 Mig welder with spool gun ............................................Let me give this some more thought. I need to find a big chunk of Ambition ! Looks like Gramps found his chunk. :hail:

Archived