Robot Informaton Archive

robert

I have to say, having a thumbnail search would be mighty helpful. I think there are lots of beginner collectors -- and even some who've been in the game for a while -- who only know a particular robot by site.

To avoid unwieldy pages containing dozens of thumbnails, they could be split by construction material, date of manufacture, alphabetized by name, etc. Even though the newbie will see the toys as appearing randomly (since they won't know any of the info upon which the organizational structure is based), that shouldn't really matter... The system is merely to split up the bots to facilitate faster loading times and such.

An example of how such a system of searching might be useful: You see a toy on ebay but don't know what it is. No name, date, or manufacturer is listed. Simply "Old Tin Robot." And a face. You go to the Archive. Sift through the mug shots. Find the face, click on it, get all the info you need.

I dig the "ask the robot" link, though perhaps it'd be best if this link then forwards the person to Alphadrome. This seems the best place to pose questions, after all... And that way, the answer is provided for whoever else might have the same question. AND, it avoids needing someone to ANSWER all those email questions that might come in.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the mug shot is a good idea...

Maybe we should consider having different ways to search/enter to each robot page.

I mean, for example have a search page by material and another by manufacturer...and even by name (no idea if that's too complicated to do). So the user choses at the begining how he/she wants to seach...

Another thought is that for the thumbnail shot page by manufacturer we can lay it out sort of as a "family" tree by date of appearance (or circa). That way we can follow chronologically which robot came first or after for each manufacturer family.

It would be also interesting to find a way to identify pieces that were made with the same mold...(legs, arms and so) (is that too crazy?)

guys, I'm no programmer, but I think we are already pushing the envelope on what current search engines can accomplish so we need to start simple and build from there (as time, money, amatuer programming skills and volunteer workforce allows). I am more than willing to put a lot of my time and energy into this, hopefully with some help, but until I get serious about it what can actually be accomplished realistically is still open to debate. At the very LEAST I will build a cohesive database of information, accessable by all - the question is WHAT final format it will take and How it will be accessed. I am open to suggestion from actual programmers if you are out there...how much of what we are looking at is actually viable without spending thousands of dollars on programming?

Archived