Mr. Mercury Repair

MetalRobotHead

post-2-1090840097.jpgYou might remember several months ago I asked you fine people for advice on how to fix my troubled Mr.Mercury. Well after agonising on whether I should put him on the operating table I eventually opened him up and started the work. It seemed to get worse the more I did, electric wires coming off the bottom motor (my fault) and breaking the top swinging rear plate (my fault). Anyway after some solid work on the dining room table (wife not happy) it working again. I would like to thank everybody that gave advice. I have posted a pic. of Mr.Mercurys internals (interesting in its own) and my work.

post-2-1090840097.jpg

:) Excellent work, MetalRobotHead! You would be surprized at how many people would be turned away at the first bad move when attempting a repair like that. Well done, -Larry 7

As Spock said," Fascinating!"

Good job MRH. Man those innards look a bit complicated. I just spent the weekend repairing an old Smoking Robot and I thought THAT was complicated but this definately has it beat.

And going with that thought, for those of us who actually work on these things: Which robot has THE most complicated motor/gear/action?? I am sure MR Mercury is wayyy up there...

post-2-1090861735.jpgIt sure took me by surprise when I opened it up. I meant to count all the cogs, gears and cams but forgot. I think it's a fair bet that Mr.Mercury will never be reproduced. Even the Chinese couldn't repro this and sell it for a reasonable price. Quite a challenge.

Hers a pic. of the front showing even more gears, the top ones are connected with the arm movements and the bottom for walking and bending, I think.

post-2-1090861735.jpg

You are right,

This will never be reproduced, it's too complicated. Also, the chinese would want to use plastic gears in place of all this brass so that the moment it bent over to pick something up those gears would strip. It would fold faster than Fred Sanford.. "ahhhm cummin lisbeth!"

Nice one MRH. Its a great feeling to get them working again.

Have a peek inside the Dux Astroman, its all crammed in there so tight you can hardly tell whats going on.

I'm sure there's some hydraulic motors going off .

• Brian.. changed the title to Mr. Mercury Repair

Archived