Doc Atomic's Updated Collection

dratomic

But Joe, those are the special Sci-Fi reading goggles! They've gotta stay nearby in case of an emergency SF fix! :)

(They're not really hidden. The books are about two feet from the rest of the collection, and they're at eye level. That photo was taken from a low angle to fit everything!)

Bill: Good idea with the air purifier. I've heard they're pretty much bunk when it comes to things like allergies (so I've been told, anyway) but I know those things catch a lot of dust... I'm going to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'll take some pics of the space glasses when I get home tonight.

I already run an air purifier in part of my house and it pulls a lot of dust out of the air, having one in my small display room should be a big help. They can be a bit loud but you can always turn it off while you're in the room.

Long Live IKEA! Billy Bookcases and glass shelves are definitely the way to go.

The collection looks GREAT, Brian! And, you're absolutely right, there's lots of room for additions in the future.

The guy who invents the dust eating nano-bot swarm will make billions!!

In the meantime, the air purifier seems like a good idea.

Congrats on a display well done!

You've got it right on Brian, absolutely beautiful! The white seems to work so well as it does at Joe's museum to reflect light on the toys and gives a nice presentation. A couple years ago I decided to get some Ikea dark-wood look bookcases (not Billy) for the 'overflow 'bots' and the toys virtually disappear inside 'em. They were inexpensive so not a great loss, looks like the white appears to be winning for the museum look (although there are a few collectors here with very light coloured shelves which work nicely too) but the white just POPS.

Always a pleasure seeing your items Brian, your organizational skills exemplary! :hail:

Joe's museum was definitely an inspiration, Mike! It's such a nice display, and I always feel really happy and calm when I'm over there. I was kind of trying to capture some of that vibe, for sure. (Which is why I'm thinking of hiring Joe to sit at the entrance of my collecting room, Forbidden Planet playing in the background, to welcome people who come by!)

Re: the white cases... Lighting is always such a problem, and I knew white cases could help. They bounce light around and help soften the shadows and dark corners. It's no substitute for proper lighting, of course -- which I'm still working on! -- but it does make what lighting's available more effective.

And of course, all the other colors pop against it, which is nice.

Sometimes white is a little too harsh, though. I was really impressed by Electric Robot & Son's collection, which is displayed (for the most part) against a sky blue wall. It's light enough to not interfere with the robots' colors, but it's not quite as stark as bright white. Really great looking, and it had me thinking about painting my shelves. In the end, laziness won out, though. But I really did love how that blue looked! :)

You know, all that said... I've seen displays in dark cases that look fantastic. If the lighting is good enough, those types of cases can lend a certain weight to the collection. A sense of age or something... timelessness... permanence. It's a classic look, and one that always impresses me.

One piece I lucked out on was daughter *Altaira's cabinet obviously part of a hutch which I picked up at Goodwill for $50 about 10 years ago, didn't even know it had a halogen light with a touch switch for the first few months. As I was cleaning it I discovered the hinges were the dimmer switch. For some reason, her 'bots and space toys really work in this particular case (literally) with the glass shelves and a Maple-like finish.

I notice that Gernot's cabinet appears off-white in his pics, maybe just the lighting but it looks good.

Doc, you've got me and 'wife of Morbius' thinkin' about this. Darryl ROBOTNUT had a great idea last time he was over here and between the two of you I may be onto something soon. :thumbs:

Archived