Doc Atomic's Updated Collection

dratomic

As they so often do, the toys outgrow the shelves and then the time comes to attack the ol' collecting room in a desperate effort to make everything fit. And hopefully look nice at the same time! For the last two weeks I've been installing shelves, clearing out unwanted stuff, re-arranging, and generally re-evaluating how I choose to present my various collections. Finally, I think I've got it all set up in a way that makes me happy. Still tweaking here and there, but yeah, this is all working pretty well for me. For now, anyway. 🙂

Here's the whole collection. Had some fun with Photoshop...

post-124-0-96117900-1350796957.jpg

Far left case, top shelves. The stands for some of the ray guns were designed by Joe Markee, who told me how to make them for my own toys. Thanks Joe!

post-124-0-30665300-1350796982.jpg

Far left case, lower shelves. The bottom most shelf is for reference books and catalogues and stuff. I'm sure at some point they'll be given over to toys.

post-124-0-88504100-1350836241.jpg

Inner left case, top shelves.

post-124-0-26731200-1350797025.jpg

Inner left case, lower shelves.

collection_blasted.jpgtop_left_1.jpglower_left_1.jpgtop_left_2.jpglower_left_2b.jpg

post-124-0-55701600-1350797214.jpg

More shelves...

Inner right, top shelves.

post-124-0-00336900-1350797566.jpg

Inner right, lower shelves. With the famous Daisy Brick!

post-124-0-32620500-1350797599.jpg

Far right, top shelves.

post-124-0-84019400-1350797638.jpg

Far right, lower shelves.

post-124-0-38230800-1350797666.jpg

top_right_2.jpglower_right_2.jpg

top_right_1.jpglower_right_1.jpg

The last of 'em.

Upper center shelves. Various prototypes: First shot, color-test Space Patrol Rocket Dart Gun; Unproduced Yonezawa robot; Pre-production Space Trooper; Prototype sculpts for the Tom Corbett Space Cadet playset.

post-124-0-44004600-1350797813.jpg

Lower center shelves. More prototypes and pre-production pieces: Ideal gun with Ideal sample tag; Prototype for unproduced paper Captain Video gun; Unused Marx sample tags.

post-124-0-53680100-1350797822.jpg

Most of my vintage first-edition science fiction paperbacks are lined up along the top of the toy cases. I've also got my few boxes up there.

post-124-0-46976300-1350797844.jpg

The rest of the Atomic Library is along another wall. These are mostly Ace Doubles (D Series), oddities, and hardcover anthologies. Also randomly displayed books.

post-124-0-62510900-1350797864.jpg

No pics of the Star Wars shelves (toys and props/cast/crew items) or the wall full of original art. They're still works in progress...

prototypes.jpg

ideal_shelf.jpg

top_books_boxes.jpg

book_shelves.jpg

Doc, all I can say is...wow! :ohmy: This is much nicer that your previous display, very clean and bright, the white cases make your collection pop right off the shelves. Where did you get those cases? Really quite nice, that is a top quality collection my friend, you should be quite proud of yourself. :thumbs:

Thanks T6!

I used Billy cases from Ikea -- Sweden's finest! Ha ha.

They work pretty well and didn't cost too much, which was important considering how many I needed. (I also used them for the SW shelves.)

Thanks, Roboto. Those toys represent some of my proudest moments as a collector. The robot in the middle -- what there is of it, anyway -- is a hand-built, unproduced Yonezawa prototype. The disc in the middle features a hand-painted space scene that rotates and then lights up from behind. The weird looking mechanism to the robot's left came with the toy -- it's the prototype for a bump-and-go mechanism designed for WALKING robots. It seems like it works, but it's kind of complicated and I can understand why Yonezawa never refined it and put it into production. The mechanism fits into the Yonezawa's foot, so it was obviously intended for use with this toy. (In theory, anyway.) The robot's missing its outer shell; a wood form was discovered, but alas, it's disappeared into some unknown collection. Oh well...

The silver Space Trooper is an early, pre-production version of the toy. Besides the silver color -- which was never released -- it has more roughly formed chrome accents and a different walking mechanism. The production version of the Space Trooper has offset wheels that cause the toy to wobble side to side as it moves. It kind of makes it look like it's walking. This version has centered wheels and it rolls forward smoothly.

Looks absolutely fantastic Brian! The glass shelves are really nice. Perfect balance of toys and room between them. I for one am jealous of having the ample room needed to display the toys in such an uncrowded space. Well......I'm more jealous of the toys but that goes without saying!! Museum quallity display all the way!

Lookin sweet!!!

Hi,

Elegant mix between robots and rayguns, refinement in the arrangement of items, one word: MAGNIFICENT. :ohmy: Just a little practical question, how do you do with the dust? :scratchhead: Because me it takes me some hours to clean up! :eeek:

Alain

Don: Thanks Don. I completely ran out of space in my previous display and it was driving me nuts. Though I honestly thought I'd have even more room than I do... I filled up these cases pretty quickly and had to abandon a couple ideas that I'd been considering. But the way things are, if I'm willing to sacrifice some of the "white space" and squeeze things together a little, there should be room increase the collection size without too many problems. Plus, the reference books can all be yanked if I have to, and that'll open up a couple more shelves. Oh, and my "big open room" isn't really so big. I've covered pretty much every square inch with display cases, hanging art, shelves, etc. It's ostensibly my office, but my desk is the tiniest desk possible so as not to get in the way of the important stuff! :)

Alain: I just dust regularly. I considered putting doors on the cases but I didn't like how they looked. So every few weeks I go over all the shelves and toys with one of those dusters that hold on to the dust and don't just kick it up in the air. I also have those washable dusting cloths -- they work really well for large surfaces like shelves (and some of the bigger robots). It's not such a problem, to tell you the truth. As long as I stay on top of it, anyway.

I don't know... One of these days I might add some doors. Ikea makes them, they're not TOO expensive all things considered. We'll see if I get sick of dusting, I guess. :)

Wow!.......Wow! Great collection Brian. The display looks amazing. I love the way you have integrated the ray guns and robots in the display. The glass shelves are definitely better than the standard white ones. Thanks for the kind words on the ray gun display stands. Yours came out great. I do think the Ideal Space goggles need a more prominent place somewhere in the display. They are way too cool to hide on the book shelf.

Absolutely stunning collection Brian, I hope I can match your display esthetics in my room! I've been looking into the glass Ikea cases but your white ones have me thinking.

On the dust issue, have you considered buying an air purifier; I’m already eyeing one with a HEPA filter for my room? Any help in keeping the dust down would be welcome.

Lastley, I’ve been picking up a few glass pieces over the past months and am wondering what graphics are on the drinking glass to the lower-right of the silver Tom Corbett rifle?

Archived