Space Bagatelles

Brian..

These are small, 6 inch, plastic bagatelles, popular in the 50s and 60s. You'll see that they are based on exactly the same molding (slight variation of the shooting pin handle), though they're by different makers. They're small and simple but the graphics elevate them, don't you think?

The first is the Rocket Space Game by Selcol

The second, in its original box, is the Space Bagatelle by Bell. You very occasionally see Bell plastic space stuff, most notably their copy of the Space Potato Head set.

SDC10772.jpg

SDC10772.jpg

SDC10773.jpg

SDC10773.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian..

• Tinman

• Joe K.

• Phil R

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two Marx Great Britain bagatelles. Larger and better made than the above items: the backing is lithographed tin rather than card.

The first is Fireball, Patent 712557. I wonder if it predates the Anderson series or if it's exploiting the name.

The second is Rex Mars Planet Patrol featuring the Marx in-house hero. Rex. It has the same patent number so must be a greneric patent. Two diecast pillars screw into the back to give the ideal angle.

SDC10783.JPG

SDC10784.JPGSDC10783.JPG

SDC10784.JPG

Brian, you've really been busy with Alphadrome these day. Great job. Are you retired? :rolleyes: Love that small round Fireball bagatelle.

• 1 month later...

Hello Brian,

Look what I got for Christmas this year ! The Portuguese version of your Selcol bagatelle game ! Made by an obscure company called "N e S" (? no idea from which part of Portugal) Design is a little different. Portuguese language, flags at the bottom, lightning around the spaceman's head etc.

imagem300.jpg

imagem299b.jpg

imagem302.jpg

• 1 year later...

A recent addition to my collection is this space-themed bagatelle made by the Wolverine Toy Company, USA. Normally I stay away from "real life" rockets and spacemen, preferring 1950's retro styles, but this piece seems to have a little of both. The graphics are on lithographed tin and other than some slight yellowing of the clear plastic and minor surface rust on the reverse of the tin, the toy shows little wear.

Google books has several Wolverine Toy catalogs dating from the mid 60's which may help me date the item, if anyone knows the secret to viewing them please let me know! A link to the books is below:

http://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=bks&q=inauthor:"Wolverine+Toy+Company"

IMG_1607.JPGpost-329-0-17188700-1346193983.jpg

Hi Bill, It looks to me that the google books pages just indicate that they are aware that these publications exist. None of them that I saw had ebook versions, and none were available on amazon or Abe books,the links they provided... I followed the "find in library" link for one, and got a single hit for a library in New York, after entering my Atlanta zip code. Maybe a more general google search might yield better results...DavePS check out wishbookweb.com for lots of old Xmas catalogs from the major us retailers...I've seen some site favorites in some of the old catalogs, dunno if any wolverine stuff is in there, though..

Thanks guys, much appreciated! From my travels on the internet it appears Wolverine used the same design for many of their Bagatelle, from the graphics I'm assuming it dates to the late 60's/early 70's. My item has a patent number but I'm thinking it deals with the toy's design and not the graphics on the game face. I've always loved bagatelle, I can remember playing with these things for countless hours as a kid.

• 1 month later...

Still cheap and cheerful, the space bagatelle. Time to put together the ones we've already mentioned and to add some others I've come across.

Rockets Away Bagatelle Game by irfix

Rockets_Away_Bagatelle_Game_with_box.jpgRockets_Away_Bagatelle_Game_with_box.jpg