Polish: Novus 1 Plastic Cleaner

Nick in NY

Hi Nick. I have used Novus 1 to clean my plastic robots and it works great. Novus 2 and three are also great for removing fine scratches from plastic domes, etc.--Bob B.

• 2 weeks later...

Novus 1 Cleaner also works great for cleaning and shining up Litho and paint on robots. I also used the NOvus 2 fine plastic scratch remover on litho (lightly only, not repeated applications) and it does a GREAT job of polishing up the litho and paint, but don't..er..use it on Chrome plated plastic. It almost looks like it has a chemical reaction with chromed plastic and removes chrome INSTANTLY. I found out the hard way.. :(

To make my plastic smooth, I use Goof Off.

JUST KIDDING! DON'T USE GOOF OFF ON TOYS. REPEAT, DO NOT USE GOOF OFF ON TOYS.

On a serious note, I have been hanging on to an old Space Commando robot (TN) for years. The dome is original but cracked in back, and someone had held it together with tape. As you know, these old domes are real thin and fragile, if they exist at all. Anyway, the old tape was gone, but the adhesive was all over and (seemingly) "into" the dome. I have thought all this time that it was a basket case, so I have never really done anything with it.

Well, listen to this. I went into the laundry room and found a bottle of Shout, and just dripped some on the dome. After about a half hour, the adhesive turned kind of thick and whitish, like dead skin that has been soaking in water. You know me, always soaking dead skin in water. Anyway, a few applications of this and some patient and gentle rubbing, and this dome is now COMPLETELY clear and absent of any damage (except for the original cracking). Now to figure out how to repair the crack...

:) Shout, huh? I'll try it. I am always willing to try anything on old tape residue, -the scourge of the universe! Thanks, Keith Palmer. -L7

Well, depending on what you want to do and whether it's chromed plastic or chromed metal:

For plastic, Novus 1 will clean it up fine but won't have any affect on oxidation, pits or rust. If the finish is so bad it can't be salvaged you can use Novus 2 small scratch remover to remove remaining chrome quickly and then spray with Chrome Spray Paint.

For chromed metal, a good chrome polish to clean and shine, a fine steel wool to remove light rust and if finish is completely hosed then have the piece cleaned and replated or you can do it yourself. There are several low cost plating methods available that do a fairly decent job.

I love using NOVUS 1 & 2.

I've been using it for years on all my plastic needs.

I, like Bob B., use it a lot to remove fine scratches on clear plastic domes and windows. It works wonderfully.

Hey, any suggestions on what to use to tack that thin, cracked dome back together with? I am not looking to re-attach the entire split -- just a spot to keep it from splaying.

I suspect this ISN'T a good idea, but I'll throw it out anyway -- Keith, what about clear nail polish or something? Dries hard and clear without the white residue that something like crazy glue leaves behind.

On the other hand, there are so many chemicals in nail polish that it'd probably end up doing more damage than good... Anyone know for certain?

• Brian.. changed the title to Polish: Novus 1 Plastic Cleaner

Archived