ZOBOR the Great fortune teller robot

robothut

here is a you tube link too see Zobor in action.

Placing your hand on the Palm Reader “scanner” on the front of the unit will activate the Great Zobor. Lights in side the case and a infinity lit mirror behind Zobor will turn ON.

Zobors eyes light up blue as the music starts to play. Zobor will look up and greet you.

Zobor will then pick up "one at a time" the 3 tarot cards and give your reading of them. Zobor will then advice you further based on your Palm reading. At the end Zobor says “that is all for now” and looks down and turn’s OFF. All the other lights will turn OFF as well at this time.

The name ZOBOR is a homage to TOBOR the Great and ZOLTAN as well as Roboz spelled backwards. It also was one of the Zeriods robots but that does not realy have anything to do with this project.

The main upper cabinet that contains Zobor is 34 inches tall, 20 inches deep and 25 inches wide. There is a Palm reader “scanner” the stick out the front 8 inches so actual over all depth would be 28 inches.

There is a pedestal “lower base” that is 40 inches tall, 19 inches deep and 25 inches wide.

So with the top cabinet on the lower cabinet the total height would be 74 inches .

The case is finished in a distressed hammered silver metal finnish. Zobor is a combination of distressed copper Finnish and black bellows type material.

post-7-0-50178800-1341524393.jpg

This is a shot of the early concept and scale mock up. I needed to find the right scale and how much room would be required for the arm movments I had in mind.

post-7-0-28972800-1341524799.jpg

Construction of the two part cabnet for ZOBOR. I had to use high quality lumber since I wanted to do a metal like finnish in the end and did not want alot of wood grain showing threw. I could have given it all a nice dark walnut finnish and it would have looked very vintage but that was not realy the look I was going for.

post-7-0-38162700-1341525088.jpg

All the control electronics for the 10 main circuits are on a pull out board in the base of the top cabnet. There is a servo recorder / player unit that controls the 4 digital servos that control the head tipping. turning and arm movments up , down, left and right. The card lifter is controled by one of the head servo channels as well.

I have not found the right camera setting for the white LEDs that light up the cabnet so the pictures and videos look kind of off color. Looks great in person.

post-7-0-19810300-1341525259.jpg

post-7-0-12703400-1341525463.jpg

post-7-0-91055700-1341525515.jpg

I had to get very creative to solve a common problem with digital servos. Well all RC type servos for that matter. They have a jerk or jitter on power up. And the ATX computer power supply I am useing to power this thing will put out a pulse of power when the unit is unpluged from the mains as well. I reson did not want the servos jerking around was not just because it looks bad. The digitasl servos have alot more power than anolog servos and they can actualy damage things like arm linkage and even the gears in the servos them selfs. So I found a way to use a delay relay to give the servos reduced power on start up for about 1 second then full power. this removed the start up jtter and a simple AC relay disconects the servos from the power suply if AC power is removed. The audio is a didgital play back unit and the palm scanner that turns ZOBOR ON is a proximety sensor. Here is a peek inside ZOBORs head with the back removed.

post-7-0-41366000-1341526081.jpg

Great project John! The robot and the cabinet look great! How was the head made? Is this going to reside at the Robothut?

Thanks for the kind words Joe K. but just maybe I don't talk about the projects that do not turn out perfect?

Electric Robot and Son, yes it is now in the Hut, I had to think all night to find a place to put it. The head is hollow cast resin I bought it off Ebay and modified it alot, cut out all the eye slits, repainted it, cut open the back of the head so I could put in the Servo Pan and Tilt set up as well as 2 micro switches, not to mention the blue LEDs for the eyes.

post-7-0-46321800-1341603336.jpg

What a fantastic addition to The Robothut. Loved the video and how the hand moved over the cards as the head follows along and then looks up at you very cool. :thumbs:

Wow!!! Love the concept behind this. Sort of Steampunk robot meets turn of the century animatronic fortune teller. This has to be some of your best work yet, but then again I've never been to the robot hut. Thanks for posting!

(Also, sort of wondering what prompted you to go in this direction with a project, are you getting bored with just doing robots and wanted a bigger challenge?)

Good God, John, the Hut looks incredible! This project seems a little different for you. I love the way you keep surprising us in a new direction. it's incredible. As was said, elements of different eras including a touch of art deco with the base. The mechanics are way over my head. It's a home run, John!

Robotopia what got me going on this project was our own Roboz "Ozzy" here on the drome. he has been sharing his fortune teller machines and had planted the idea of a robot fortune teller in my mind. I spent the winter thinking about this. The first thing was to figuare out why we humans think the fortune teller machines are so cool. I think its the creepy factor, I think any time we see a human like figure in a glass box we think on some level that it just might be a real person in there. So to do a robot version of the fortune tell was going to lose that aspect since it would not be a person in the glass box. Ok a few of us Dromers would look at it and think That just might be a real robot in that box, but normal people would not care. So I decided that if I was going to do this project then the robot inside the box would have to do more than move a arm or tip a head in order to impress anyone. It was going to have to put on a show, it was going to have to actualy pick up each card one by one as it tells your fortune and the head would have to be able to move in all directons and nod Yes and No. Then I had the idea of useing the Plam scanner to turn the machine on. After that it was just playing around with the mechanics and electronics.

Now since Roboz had started this thing in my mind I thought it might be cool to use his I.D. for the robots name, I then thought about spelling it backwards like they did for TOBOR, so Roboz backwards became ZOBOR and the "THE GREAT" part was a lift from Tobor as well.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/ZoborPage.html

There is no doubt about it, John, you are a genius. I get the feeling if you put your mind to it, you could make a fully working Delorean time machine. :hail:

Archived