Storage: Care of Robots

ulysses

hello all:) , decided to take care of some of my robot and wraped them and the box in glad wrap is this ok? any advice please thxs guys

IMHO, I'd think that may cause some moisture issues between the robot/wrap and box/wrap especially accounting for where you live, I'd be concerned about the wrap sticking to the toy/box. I remember when I started collecting I wrapped the first vintage boxtop I got just as you described but later changed my mind 'just in case'.

There are some major 'archivists' of paper stuff here who will hopefully chime in on this.

(JOHN???) :lecture:

As for me I store mine on shelfs in there original box and on a few I have clear plastic loose fitting bags with holes in them so they can breathe. The room has its window screen closed all the time and I have a dehumidifier going. Glad wrap will retain inner moisture and in time dependent on how humid the area is may cause inner rust and may even damage the outer print. :biggrin:

post-856-0-90885000-1341499776.jpg

IMHO, I'd think that may cause some moisture issues between the robot/wrap and box/wrap especially accounting for where you live, I'd be concerned about the wrap sticking to the toy/box. I remember when I started collecting I wrapped the first vintage boxtop I got just as you described but later changed my mind 'just in case'.

There are some major 'archivists' of paper stuff here who will hopefully chime in on this.

(JOHN???) :lecture:

Thank you john really helpful:)

As for me I store mine on shelfs in there original box and on a few I have clear plastic loose fitting bags with holes in them so they can breathe. The room has its window screen closed all the time and I have a dehumidifier going. Glad wrap will retain inner moisture and in time dependent on how humid the area is may cause inner rust and may even damage the outer print. :biggrin:

Thank you:)

Beaides toys, I collect cinyage first edition paperbacks, pulp magazines, and original magazine and paperback artwork, just so you know where im coming from on this.

There are two potential problems with using glad wrap (or any similar material).

First, there's the moisture issue. If the plastic is too tight and provides no way to release moisture, you could end up rotting the boxes or rusting the toys. That said, comics and other paper products are commonly stored in protective bags -- and they're fine. These bags aren't air-tight though, and that helps.

More importantly, though -- the plastic wrap isn't archival. The plastic isn't acid free and could easily end up causing problems with your boxes. Acids can, over time, cause discoloration and brittleness. Definitely my biggest concern.

If you really want to store your boxes in plastic, I would suggest buying large, acid free bags from an archive supply house. These are usually made of Mylar and are similar to comic book bags -- but big enough to hold the box.

Put the box in them and fold the bag where necessary -a like wrapping a present. Tape down the edges and voila! A protected box.

You might want to check Gaylord Library Supplies -- I can't remember the URL but a google search will pull them up. I've bought bags from them for my paperbacks and vintage magazines and have been happy with the service.. I'm sure there are other companies out there that sell the supplies, too. For smaller boxes, your local comic book store might sell bags that fit -- they usually stock the common comic size bags and also bags designed for larger magazines.

Good luck!

Thank you john really helpful:)

Uh, Morbius is Mike not John, I was hoping John Rigg would chime in on this one, storing 3,800+ 'bots he has much experience with all this... :hail:

Oh and as stated above a de-humidifier is quite necessary especially as our robot room is in the basement (away from most light).

• Brian.. changed the title to Storage: Care of Robots

Archived