Spec Toy and Pyrotomic whistles

RenMarx

Yep, I decided to pick up these on ebay this week. I had wanted some Pyrotomic whistles for the last 4 years only to be outbid time and time again. The Spec Toy whistle is interesting too though. When you hold your finger over the holes near the nose of the rocket, you could change the tone on the whistle. The Pyrotomic whistles are simply a notch above anything else of this kind, the Spec whistle has much thinner plastic used. Anyway, very happy with all 3! I just need to figure out how to take apart the blue whistle, whoever lined this one up, did a poor job at it. The Spec whistle reads on the top, "Space Signal"

imnq4g.jpg

6olcph.jpg

2hdm8tj.jpg

nz0z82.jpg

Nice additions RM, I have a blue one just like yours I found a while back. I think the gold one is my favorite !

• 2 years later...

A whislte that looks similar to the Spec-Toy Space Signal whistle can be seen in this circa 1960

Carnival Toy (Company) catalog, 450 Hancock Avenue, Bridgeport, Connecticut:

post-16-0-43376400-1414334996.jpgpost-16-0-89399800-1414335023.jpg

post-16-0-87667000-1414335050_thumb.jpg

The recently ended listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toy-Catalogue-1960s-CARNIVAL-Distributors-Product-Line-Color-Picture-Catalog-/331342796371?pt=Vintage_Antique_Toys_US&hash=item4d2591d653

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Update! Just found this silver Pyrotomic whistle a week ago. Got some melt marks here and there but my micron papers helped diminish the marks a bit.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Here's a carded example of the Musical Space Signal whistle from Carnival Toys, Inc., Bridgeport, CT:

space signal whistle.jpg

This one is translucent red plastic with glitter flecks

The recently ended listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Space-Signal-Whistle-Flute-Glitter-Red-Plastic-Rocketship-1979-/362024056965?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=WkS%2Bh%2FVZu5X0JhSL%2FD4TZG%2FFwOM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I love the Pyro whistles. Still need a yellow and a silver. The Yellow is awesome! Congrats.

• 5 months later...

Nice find, Joe.  I'm curious,  does your carded example still display the Spec-Toy name molded into the top of one of its fins (with Made in U. S. A. appearing on the same side of the other fin)?  Or did Carnival Toys, Inc. of Bridgeport, CT remove it?  If the molded brand was altered in some way it would help with determining the maker when a loose example is found.  I've only ever found them with the Spec-Toy markings.

• 4 years later...

I recently acquired this backer card for my Spec-Toy Space Signal whistle; I've only seen one other example and the condition was a bit rough.

SV-040.JPG.c62bad02c3542893326bd9535c97a671.JPG461498080_10(Mar2022)a-Copy.jpg.6cbb98ce00c26accaef1192cb1854a9f.jpg