Unknown Space Aliens and Robots

Tinplate6

I recently picked up these 4 space figures, and they have lots of personality. The figures consist of 2 aliens and 2 robots; they are approximately 2 inches tall and cast from soft plastic.

post-656-0-73054400-1337463996.jpg

The group was made in Hong Kong by a company who's logo I was able to photograph, but I can't discern the order of the letters...they seem to read as "ID Ltd." inside of a Thunderbird. :scratchhead:

post-656-0-61332600-1337463967.jpg

The characters are very retro looking. The skinny blue alien appears to be a hybrid, although he seems organic, he has robot claws for hands.

post-656-0-06473200-1337463961.jpg

post-656-0-89413600-1337463989.jpg

The second alien is chunky indeed and is wearing torpedo-shaped rocket shoes.

post-656-0-82813400-1337463974.jpg

post-656-0-95025800-1337463981.jpg

The one green robot looks like he was fashioned after Humpty-Dumpty, while the reddish robot is almost flat by comparison.

All 4 figures have traces of paint that may, or may not be original. These bare a certain resemblance to sets of figures made by a company know only as "Giant" although those figures are only 1 inch or so in height.

I have also seen these made into rubbery figures with suction cups on the bases so you could stick them to things. I pulled this picture off the internet of that set. You can clearly see the 4 characters in among the others.

post-656-0-74902900-1337482689.jpg

I really like the goofy 50's look of these pieces. :thumbs:

The group was made in Hong Kong by a company who's logo I was able to photograph, but I can't discern the order of the letters...they seem to read as "ID Ltd." inside of a Thunderbird. :scratchhead:

That´s a set of neat aliens :biggrin:

However the company´s name is LP and it shows the upper half of a giant or a djinn.

You can see it clearly on some of the boxes they made for their plastic space toys.

Also often a set of 8 space men in many different colour versions can be seen.

Many information is on Woodsy´s blog Moonbase Central if you use the search function: http://projectswordtoys.blogspot.de/

Specifically here: http://projectswordtoys.blogspot.de/2009/10/origins-of-tri-ang-spacex-figures.html

and here: http://projectswordtoys.blogspot.de/2009/10/origins-of-tri-ang-spacex-figures.html

Thanks Blech...wow, I wasn't even close on that logo. :blush: I don't suppose you have a larger photo of it do you? I guess you could see that as "LP" were it not for a break in each letter.

So, does anyone else have these, and how many were there?

I guess you could see that as "LP" were it not for a break in each letter.

The break is just the folded arms of the giant. The trademark was taken from the Space Bus box.

Space Bus is very small, it has the size of a human hand. The trademark has the size of a pea :biggrin:

post-544-0-71404500-1337522224.jpg

post-544-0-79741800-1337522306.jpg

post-221-0-82117700-1337559190.jpgNice color on the spacemen. I got my rubbery style locally about 5 or so years ago. they were in a pile of odd items that he wanted a quarter apiece. I picked out all he had. As you can see they're bright colors.

post-221-0-82117700-1337559190.jpg

Thanks guys for your replies. So, it seems there are two other alien/robot characters in the set, not including any possible astronauts.

I saw these up for grabs TP but it never occurred to me to place a bid. Wish I had, you definitely have the best version.

Thanks all.

Tinman, I tend to agree, I do like this edition the best of all the ones I've seen so far :wub: , and there are dozens of them out there, as ANZ's post shows! I think the sculpts and details are much cleaner. I guess classic characters never really go out of style. :biggrin: However, there is one nagging question...when did the first version of these guys hit the streets, 1950's or 1960's? :scratchhead:

The LP set of 8 astronauts is from the mid 60s.

Their suits are the same like the Mercury Program had.

Imho the alien set dates back to the same time.

That's a decent estimate Blech...sounds good to me. :thumbs:

By the way, that's an interesting quote you have there, however, it sounds much better in German than it's English translation:

Es kracht und zischt, der Roboter macht nischt. Er kam vom Mars, und das war´s!

It crackles and hisses, the robot makes nothin '. He came from Mars, and that's it! :scratchhead:

• 3 months later...

The LP set of 8 astronauts is from the mid 60s.

Their suits are the same like the Mercury Program had.

Imho the alien set dates back to the same time.

The alien/robot

figures

made into the HG "Alien Attack"

playset in 'Giant' (i.e. reduced) back in the late 70's