Cardboy "bot"

Hillbilly Robot

The urban vinyl craze---producing a limited number of small, vinyl characters at a high cost for the collector---is now promoting Cardboy, a series of cardboard/vinyl sculptures which include a "Cardbot," a three-inch model for $6.50 (see picture below). The head is cardboard, the legs appear to be vinyl. Read more at:

My Plastic Heart

post-2-1089314987.jpg

Speaking of cardboard bots---I stumbled upon this oddity at the flea market last weekend, on a 10¢ table. It's made of a thin cardboard that has been clumsily clipped and glued---as by a kid, of course. And it's old. Interestingly, you can see inside the thing in a couple of places, and the other side of the cardboard appears to be the face of a cereal box. I can't tell exactly which cereal---I'd need a surgical grade arthroscope to get in there and look around. The other option is to tear it apart, which kind of defeats the purpose. I mean, it's too charming to dismantle---look, the kid stuck the claws in backwards. Too cute.

Anybody recall which breakfast cereal from the 60s featured this B9 cut-out?

;)

post-2-1089318252.jpg

Actualy they just glued the photo copy paper to cerial box card board, you can see the one I built on page 33 of the robot hut collection center shelf left side. the same B9 robot. I got the art work in the mid 1980's from Keith S. at Gassoline alley, and he got it from a freind a few years befor that. Its not so old. I also gave copies of the paper robot art work to other freinds back then. I have search hi and low but I guess I did not keep a master sheet for it. I still have the instruction sheet for it as I saw that last year.

Oh no! The dealer told me it was vintage 1960s, but it's a 1980s "repop"!!! He ripped me off for a whole 10¢---why, I could have bought a dozen brand new paper robots with that money! The cruelty never ends! LOL

;)

Archived