MARK LOGAN BUCK ROGERS ROCKET

Phil R

post-221-0-07909400-1333756033.jpgpost-221-0-31265800-1333756088.jpgpost-221-0-98797700-1333768335.jpgI was at Williams Grove flea market a few weeks ago and saw a teapot that would make a great rocket. I was near Mark and thought I'd drop by. He liked it so much that he started tinkering with it. We made a barter deal and I left.

He called me today and said it was finished. I only live 20 miles from him so I took the project I finished for him and took a drive. Mark told me that he was in a creative dead period and it took longer than expected. Well, he must have gotten his mojo back because it was beautiful. He lighted it with a Victorian lamp for the base. It's 24" long and made from the teapot, sheet metal, spoons, part of a lava lamp, glass and plastic parts. The base is also lighted. I told Mark that the only thing that separated it from the 1930s Dick Calkins Sunday comics rockets is color. I definitely got the better of this barter deal.

post-221-0-07909400-1333756033.jpg

post-221-0-31265800-1333756088.jpg

post-221-0-98797700-1333768335.jpg

Nice work Mark! It looks great against the starry background. I like the old lamp pole to support the rocketship. Much better than just sitting on a shelf.

Phil,

Great eye on spotting the tea pot. I love to walk through flea markets looking for potential robot or space vehicle parts. Do you ever tell the sellers what you intend to do with stuff when you buy it? I frequently do. Some sellers are really interested and some are appalled, but I have never had anyone refuse to sell me an item after I tell them.

Steve, here's a photo of it lighted. subtle lighting for the nose and exhaust. The base is also lighted.

Joe, funny you should mention the transactions buying the coffepot. I was negotiating with the guy and he kept saying it worked. I responded that I didn't care if it worked. He looked at me funny and said, "I can break it for you". I laughed and said that I meant that I wasn't going to use it for the intended purpose. I wanted it to make a rocket and of course explained it to him. He seemed quite interested in my work and using found objects. He then had no problem with an agreed price.

post-221-0-21253700-1333830596.jpg

So I go to Chambersburg to check on my mom. While I'm there ,she hands me this set of candlestick holders . They belonged to one of my favorite great aunts. The one that was a piano teacher and tried to teach me piano while Batman was on ! That didn't work out,,but I loved aunt Chloe ! Anyhow,,mom had tried to clean them and had rubbed off the paint. She said, take these home and see if you can repaint them. You can have them. So I brought them home and had them placed in the garage by the wheel of the Firefly trailer. Phil called one Sunday morning. Wanted to stop by to show off some items picked up . While we were talking about them , I pointed down to the candle stick holders,,telling him that Mom wanted me to have those and repair them . Phil took one look at them and said, I'll repair them ! No Phil,,,it's OK. No. I'll restore them to original ! They are old,,,have never seen them ! Really ? Sure,,,just build me a rocket from these parts. OK. Then Phil called and told me the restoration was much more complex then he had thought. I went down to the shop that had been dormant for over a year and I sat and I sat......I looked and looked....then it all started to come together. The parts started to fit. It was a joy ! It was an even trade. However Phil's restoration and my creation do not show well with photographs. They just don't.

post-545-0-34307700-1333930527.jpg

Archived