Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Tinplate6

About 15 years or so ago, I happened to be on the internet, browsing with my new iMac Blueberry terminal, at a blazing 333MHZ! :lol: Anyway, I stumbled across the Toy Ray Gun website, and was immediately thunderstruck by the seemingly endless variety and colorful designs of these toy space guns. I eventually struck up an online friendship with Gene Metcalf, and began collecting. At the time, he had a section on the site called "ray gun talk", much like what we now call Alphadrome. After researching the many photos of guns produced over the years, I decided that I would photoshop my own concept of the perfect ray gun. So, I cobbled together the picture you now know as my avatar...the Neutron Ray. :wub:

post-656-0-03385600-1330647973.jpg

Over the years, I had forgotten about the post I had made then. Several months ago, I was scouring the ether, searching for photos of ray guns :unsure: , and I spotted one that looked very familiar...too familiar :huh: , it was my fantasy space pistol, and it was being used by a blog site called "The Freeman". The image was being used to illustrate a proposed crowd control weapon "The Pain Ray"...not very complimentary, I must say -_- .

post-656-0-30598800-1330648001.jpg

As time went on, I was again on eBay, searching for guns, and came across a piece of art made by a fellow named Verbek, who created works from glass powders and beads, which when heated under high temperatures would fuse into a "glass painting". The topic of this Sci-Fi masterpiece again looked familiar...yup, my gun :rolleyes: . I bid on the piece and won it, but when I mentioned that he had perhaps borrowed this from my original concept, he denied it. Dunno, it looks a bit too close to be coincidence. :blink:

post-656-0-26129400-1330648040.jpg

Three days ago, I was looking for something to use as wallpaper for my desktop, and came across this great painting done by an artist named Adam Simpson. The work "Ray Guns-2009" shows several examples of well-known toy guns realized in various colors, a really cool illustration.

post-656-0-73398300-1330648079.jpg

However, upon examining the work closer, I noticed one gun, that was never put into production...I'm sure you already guessed which one.

post-656-0-62861500-1330648093.jpg

After retrieving the wallpaper, I was just about to log off, when I spied another familiar form, a watercolor sketch by an artist named Jez Whitworth . Hmmm...? :mellow:

post-656-0-06598100-1330648145.jpg

yup, so, I guess I should feel honored that all these folks liked my gun well enough to use it as their muse, as for me, well I'm just a-mused. ;)

Quite the story Brady. Not quite the Six Degrees of 'Neutron Ray' ...but close!

It'd be nice to have a real one of those.

-Steve

It cracks me up that they think it's a real toy ray gun.

It is a real toy ray gun Andy. I have seen one up close and personal. :P

JimK

It is a real toy ray gun Andy. I have seen one up close and personal. :P

JimK

True that. Maybe I should have said a real "production" toy ray gun. ;)

Indeed gentlemen, through the generosity of a fellow Alphadromer, I have obtained the only example of the prototype known to exist! :blink:

Here is a picture of the cool retro box art.

post-656-0-65669800-1330730359.jpg

The gun itself is beautiful and came in a fitted box.

post-656-0-00060900-1330734209.jpg

The piece has some heft to it, and would definitely deter any alien regardless of which galaxy it came from! ^_^

post-656-0-32443600-1330730255.jpg

post-656-0-50635600-1330730268.jpg

This just got me thinking...as many robots, saucers and ray guns I have out there, I can't believe I haven't seen any on ebay or any of my photos taken for other purposes.

• 5 years later...

Well, now I know I'm a famous artist...my ray gun design has finally appeared on a nationally televised TV show!

I was watching Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman; season 6; episode 5 - Are Aliens Inside us?. Halfway through the show, an animated segment appeared with a very familiar element incorporated into the scene. Now, it's not the entire gun, but it's more than enough to identify it as my artwork. You decide...

my gun 2.jpg

my gun 3.jpg

• 5 months later...

Archived