Display: Using Styrofoam For Display Purposes

Papatoad

Just a curious question. There should be no problem using pieces of styrofoam to pick the back row of robots up a few inches in my display case? It won't melt wheels or anything will it? Just curious. :)

Oh, and by the way. I want to thank everyone who considered bidding against me on my silver attacking martian and didn't. I finally have a silver attacking martian. It is a "piece 'O' S***" But I got one. Finally. Money is tight this year. Can't afford to be picky. Thanks :D

Hey, Papatoad - long time no post! I've read some old posts regarding soft plastic remote cords melting when they are in contact with styrofoam for a long period of time, but I don't know about rubber wheels. One suggestion might be to cover the styrofoam with a heavy paper stock. Also I have used poker chips (a stack of three or four right between the wheels) under the feet of Horikawa sized robots to keep the wheels "floating" above painted shelves which are supposed to be bad for rubber wheels. If you use white poker chips they should blend right in with the styrofaom. Congratulations on the silver Attacking Martian BTW (POS or not), summer is always a good time for an ebay bargain hunter. ;)

I would cover the styrofoam with alluminum foil, this would keep the robot look and protect from any chemical re actions.

Covering it would be a good idea. I had thought about grooving the piece out for the wheels to set down in. But that could be avoided. Thanks.

Hi Fineas. Just went back to my role as mild mannered superlurker. Business has picked up as of late and all work and no play makes Papatoad grouchy and very tired. But the tadpoles gotta eat. Last fall winter and spring put me in a deep hole. But I am climbing out of it. Just gotta buy the cheap robots for a bit.

6:00 Time to go. Talk to you later.

Welcome back paptoad! I know what you mean about the hole dug deep. I'm kinda in the same boat myself but i can see daylight now.

Regarding supports for robot feet to keep the wheels off the ground to prevent flattening, I have access to a laser cutter and I am making some 1/4 " thick clear acrylic pads (with slots cut out for the wheels) for the robot to rest on. This elevates it just enough to keep the wheels "floating" but supports the robot with equal stability. The pads will be the exact same size as the robot's shoe so they will be virtually invisible. I will post some pictures this weekend if anyone is interested....

Sounds like a fantastic idea Robert, you might concider makeing them in a few sizes and selling them on Ebay if they turn out nice and the price is right.

That sounds right up my alley. Let us see what you come up with. I am interested in picking the back row of robots up higher. To look over the front row. Can you supersize them for the super giants? Good luck. :D

John,

The thought of selling them on ebay has crossed my mind. If so I would probably sell a pair for $5.00. Does that sound reasonable?

Papatoad, I can custom make them for any robot foot/ wheel configuration, provided I have the appropriate template. I can make quite a few based on my own collection, but I might call on some of you guys for templates of the higher end robots in return for some at shipping/ material cost only. Anyone interested?

This is what I do to prevent the "tire" to go flat

I use some parts of a water bottel ( 1 or 1.5 L)

- the smal part of the stopper - for foot like Astro Captain

- "rings" of the bottel for higher wheels, like Drome robot, Marvelouse Mike and others

Home made from "plastic sheet" (used to cover desks or diner tables) I made rings

of +/- 0.5 cm high and +/- 4 diameter for robots like Jupiter

& 8 cm diameter for Horikawa type.

Some pictures for a better understanding!!!!

I hoop this little contibution helps you to prevent the flat on the tires

Sorry for my english

Regards

Dany - Belgium

post-2-1089380399.jpg

:) Nice looking collection Dany. Horikawa's are my favorite. I am going to try your idea on top of styrofoam. Going to cover the foam w/ foil and prop the bots up a hair and keep an eye on them to see if they sink.

Well, gotta go sit by the door and wait for the latest aquisition. Actually, double birthday party for the girls.

• Brian.. changed the title to Display: Using Styrofoam For Display Purposes

Archived